Help Reassemble Brifters

vtwinvince

Senior Retro Guru
I have some 600 Tricolour brifters that I disassembled and got working. Now I can't get them back together with the return spring, since I don't have that weird tube-like Shimano tool. Anyone got any ideas about what to use to reassemble these things?

Re:

If you mean the wee spring that is on lever pivot, I used a section of the extending aerial from the radio in the kitchen.
The top/last section had been pulled out and it was just the right diameter to fit on spring. Since it seems to be chromed brass I was worried it wouldn't be strong enough so was careful. It worked fine as a substitute tool.

The only thing I can say is keep trying ! It happened the same with mines, and after a very very very frustrating week trying I gave up and sold them for peanuts as spare parts... The buyer sent me a whatsapp next day saying he put them back together, and without the shimano specific "tool". Unfortunately he did not told me how. Sorry I can not be more specific, but there should a way certainly ....

OK, finally got them back together using a slightly modified air pump needle for inflating balls. I made the opening at the bottom of the needle a little bigger with an awl and presto, worked like a charm.

Back