RockShox Paris Roubaix SL Calliper Fixing Bolt/Nut Issues

simonkolin

Retro Newbie
Hi All

I'm building up a Bridgestone RB-1 with a RS Paris Roubaix SL fork.

I have an issue that I can't seem to solve and I don't know what I'm doing wrong...

When I install the front brake calliper, the fixing nut at the back of the brace doesn't sit flush against the brace. I'm worried that this will put undue stress on the brace in the incorrect places. I'm also concerned that the nut will come loose because I'm hesitant to tighten the bolt (because it doesn't sit correctly).

The nut I'm using is 10.5mm. The shortest.

I've attached 2 images that I hope will help with the explanation of the issue.

Please will other users of the RS Roubaix fork share their experience of installing the front brake calliper and if there similar issues experienced.

Attachments

• IMG-5115.JPG
    IMG-5115.JPG
    125.1 KB · Views: 690
  • IMG-5116.JPG
    IMG-5116.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 690
Re: RockShox Paris Roubaix SL Calliper Fixing Bolt Issues

I had this before on someone else's bike the simple solution is to cut the hex nut down or put a spacer between the fork and calliper I choose the former option he's been riding it for a couple of years with no dramas. I did try the rear brake in there which has the shorter stirrup bolt it tightened up fine with the 10.5 nut.

Re: RockShox Paris Roubaix SL Calliper Fixing Bolt Issues

kingbling":3d2f0mil said:
I had this before on someone else's bike the simple solution is to cut the hex nut down or put a spacer between the fork and calliper I choose the former option he's been riding it for a couple of years with no dramas. I did try the rear brake in there which has the shorter stirrup bolt it tightened up fine with the 10.5 nut.

I'm using the rear calliper on the front, exactly because the fixing bolt is shorter than the normal front calliper bolt.

Again, I can tighten it up, but I bothers me that the nut at the back on the brace doesn't sit flush.

Would it be safe to cut down the nut to, say, 7.5mm?

I've added 2 washers to the nut behind the brace. It's an ugly solution, but it appears to allow the nut to seat better and tighten better.

Attachments

• IMG-5135.JPG
    IMG-5135.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 679
Found this on Bike Radar.

"Suffice to say, it made riding much more comfortable, not to mention the 'wow' factor in seeing a road bike with a suspension fork. I still ride the Salsa to this day, and it gets the same kinds of looks. BTW... 10wt oil, stock levels, set at 44psi.

jyl - Unfortunately, the Fork Brace doesn't have a cable stop or brake bosses for a 'cross application. You bolt the front brake caliper directly to the fork brace, using a VERY short, modified pivot bolt. As long as the seals and the air valves are good, the fork should still be OK. I deflate the fork when the bike is static, then inflate the fork when I'm ready to ride. It'll hold air for at least 3-4 months before I have to top the pressure out."

Re:

Hi,
I just won a pair of these but they have a brace with a cable hanger. I'm not 100% if these are PR SLs with a different hanger.
Can someone with more experience shed some light on them for me please?
Thanks!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143616100788

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thats a MTB fork brace

s-l1600.jpg

Fork looks legit though (with no air by the looks of it)

vintage_rockshox_10499__04430.1476923858.1280.1280.JPG

1873764-large.jpg

Latest posts

Back