Need some help

swinger76

Dirt Disciple
hi everyone long time since i been in this neck of the woods got a issue on my Retro Bike my Raleigh Mercury (pink/white) rear drops are worn on there Grip one side seems to be worn away covered 1,800 miles over the past 3 years so not a lot of use checked the wheels they fine no loose so it seems its the frame its on the drive side there something i can buy that can fix this issue as i um spent a lot 4 years ago building it into a modern spec ?

thanks in advance any help would be appreciated

You could put a 1mm washer behind the lock nut to reduce the amount of axle sitting in the drop out as it sound like the skewer is bottoming out when tightened up. But as Midlife says its unusual for them to wear out.

when i pop the wheel into place and tighten up the skewer on one side you can push the wheel on one side it moves a bit

Sounds like drop out are to thin & the sewer you have as mentioned is bottoming out.. either you get another skewer to try as there is a huge choice in the market or its the good old nuts to secure your wheel. Never put a washer to pack out a drop out then use a skewer.. the wheel could easily slip when on your ride & you could end up in hospital!

Is the axle centred in the hub.

Unless you've been running it loose, in which case, washer!

sorry late reply my pc failed me thanks all for the great advice problem was solved thanks to you all changed the Quick Release Skewer for a Old School one and it Solved it no idea why its gotta work like that but its safe to ride now

thanks again !

John

Back