Remove broken dustcap

Ugo51

Retro Guru
Hi guys,

Any suggestions on how to remove a broken dustcap from the crank?
It's screwed in the pedal body, only the external part is completely gone, there is only the threaded bit, which 'clogs' the thread on the pedal.
I'm at loss...

Thanks

Re:

Pics please as it’s all a bit confusing a crank dust cap suddenly in a pedal...

Re:

I am guessing you mean that the broken cap is 'clogging' the thread at the bottom bracket end, not the pedal end, of the crank?

It sounds like it is a plastic dustcap, which the 'face' has broken off, leaving the threads in the crank (this happened to me, with 25 year-old Shimano crank dustcaps).

You need something to grip it from the inside - I used a tool I have for opening/closing quick links on chains - a bit like pliers, but with points sticking outwards at the ends. I stuck it in, opened the jaws, and they gripped the inside edge of the cap. Then turn anti-clockwise, and they were out.

Or have i misunderstood?

Re:

Heat will work, but might damage the finish - I removed a plastic bottom bracket, by melting it out, but was going to repaint anyway.

Re:

Sorry, it was a bit optimistic of me, trying to explain it in English.

This should help:

Re:

Super fine chisel, pointy tools and patience. You are going to need to take that out, but by bit. Or melt it out and ruin the cranks. Can’t see any other options.

If it's plastic they are (eventually) fairly easy to lever/crack/chisel out.

If it's aluminium you need to expand your english vocabulary. You'll need more swears.
Could possibly do something with a dremel and a peg spanner?

(Unless there is no corrosion at all?)

Re:

Luckily is plastic.

I tried removing it bit by bit with the smallest flat screwdriver I own, but it doesn't work.

I will try with a smaller chisel...

Back