Help… Bike identify, anyone familiar with this bike brand?

drk_peak

Dirt Disciple
Hi, well im stumped, i bought a bike to use at Eroica last year, my previous ride a Dave Russell 653 had to be commited to the great bike hanging rack in the sky (snapped chainstay!) - picked this up, cleaned, lubed, fettled the gears, air in tires and presto did the 55 miler no probs, even rode it there and back from Sheffield without a hitch so was impressed that i and it made it.

So that leads me on to what you guys actually think it is? - i've searched the name and nothing really comes up, it's got a distinctly italian flavour but im guessing it's not, it's 531 Competition tubing for a start, chrome forks, front braze on hanger and the paints a fetching cherry red metallic.

Any info would be gratefully recieved and don't worry, i swapped out the seatpost and saddle for the ride, the one in the pic is shamefull

Cheers
Ad

Attachments

• IMG_5481_sml.jpg
    IMG_5481_sml.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 401
  • IMG_5482_sml.jpg
    IMG_5482_sml.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 401
  • IMG_5486_sml.jpg
    IMG_5486_sml.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 401
Never heard of Veloce Cycles, but a quick measurement of the BB shell will tell you if it is Italian - if it's 70mm, it is - anything else and it isn't. Also consider that it could easily NOT be Reynolds 531 - I've got a pile of those stickers in my workshop.

Truth is, it is almost impossible to ID a frame, if it doesn't have at least one standout feature (serial number, unusual lugs, etc). I have an Italian frame and don't think I will ever find out who actually made it (or what it is made from).

+1 for the suggestion of getting your Dave Russell repaired.

Thanks guys, it is a nice frame and rides well enough but is no supermodel, the Dave Russell on the other hand is pretty special, it’s currently at my local framebuilders and definitely a keeper, the drive side chainstay cracked, better to find out on the workstand than on a 40mph decent! - they’re gonna chop out and replace, i’ll Post some build pics in the next few months, i’ll Porobably need some advice on paint, thanks again, Ad

Back