Phoenix retro racer please help.

Rhubarb

Retro Newbie
Hi i picked this up from a house clearance and am struggling to find anything much about it, seems really good quality to me very light and has a campagnolo ring set and head set , cinelli bars , galli brakes, so possibly an enthusiast build.? It's obviously sat about for a very long time but a lovely fit for me so I couldn't resist. Any info gratefully received.
Simon

Ahh my photos are too large to upload I will sort that and come back.!

Attachments

• IMG_20190527_193147~2.jpg
    IMG_20190527_193147~2.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 787
  • IMG_20190527_182307~3.jpg
    IMG_20190527_182307~3.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 787
Re:

Hi everyone and thanks for looking, I still haven't found anything on this frame not sure if this image helps.

Attachments

• IMG_20190607_111933.jpg
    IMG_20190607_111933.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 655
Re:

Thanks for the reply as by chance I am now getting somewhere, I had tried Phoenix cycles in Eastbourne turns out it was made by Roberts for them hopefully the serial number will give me some more info.

I'd resisted commenting but I'm certain your frame isn't a Roberts - sorry, looks like a bought in Italian factory frame - I know the Roberts connection with Phoenix in Forest Hill (London) & Eastbourne - both shops were originally owned by John Pratt and the Eastbourne shop sold to the Priors - current owners.

Jon.

Re:

Thanks for the reply Jon, I've sent Phoenix cycles the frame number, I emailed them initially didn't get a response so phoned up today on the off chance.
Simon made the Roberts connection, Geoff visits the shop so hopefully can shed some light on it ,where it's from etc and maybe put a date to it,
Simon did say if the customer liked Italian components they often used Columbus tubing so you could well be right
Even if it's not a Roberts the name was a blast from the past as I used to work at Purley cycles in 1980.

Re: Re:

Rhubarb":2opzb79j said:
Thanks for the reply Jon, I've sent Phoenix cycles the frame number, I emailed them initially didn't get a response so phoned up today on the off chance.
Simon made the Roberts connection, Geoff visits the shop so hopefully can shed some light on it ,where it's from etc and maybe put a date to it,
Simon did say if the customer liked Italian components they often used Columbus tubing so you could well be right
Even if it's not a Roberts the name was a blast from the past as I used to work at Purley cycles in 1980.

No worries, I know Geoff well - seeing him in a week's time. I suspect the frame is a trade Saba or maybe a Viner. So you worked at Purley Cycles in 1980: where are you based now ?

Cheers, Jon.

Re:

I can see by your collection you know what you are talking about.! If I don't get much joy from Phoenix who I'm sure are very busy perhaps I should contact him direct.?
I now live 10 miles south of Horsham . Back then I was a keen member of the Anerly bicycle club but was swayed by motorbikes and girls , always a bad combination. This bike could be just the job to get me back on the road but it's always interesting to make a barn find.!
Simon

Ok, so you're actually not that far from me when I'm on the Sussex coast - Anerley, Purley...my old manor when young ! Good luck with it, keep us posted.

Jon.

Back