Removing a Mavic 600 Rd BB - Help!

dan73uk

Senior Retro Guru
I have a Mavic 600 Rd BB that I wish to remove, However the lock ring tool I have doesn't fit and the pin spanner (adjustable with the pins on the tool bigger than pin holes on the BB) will not fit properly.
I have managed to remove the locking on one side (in frustration with an adjustable wrench)

Research shows a Mavic 670 tool is needed but they do not appear to be very common.

Anyone know of any other tool readily available that will do the job.

Thanks

I don't know this bb so I had a look on velobase. It appears to have a locking ring on either end. As you have a pin spanner could you drill the holes in the bb to match your pin spanner?

curzons246":387tf7sr said:
I don't know this bb so I had a look on velobase. It appears to have a locking ring on either end. As you have a pin spanner could you drill the holes in the bb to match your pin spanner?

Thanks for the idea but don't have any tools to drill the BB and from what I've read it needs a 6 pin tool to remove it. Royce make a 6 pin tool but it's too expensive and I've relented and given to a LBS to sort out.

Re:

The Mavic bottom brackets are sealed bearing cartridge type . You only need remove the lockring on any side ( doesnt matter which ) and the whole cartridge slides out. You dont need to bother with the pin holes as this is just to adjust play in the bearings and nothing to do with removal. These are among the best BB`s ever made , I have them on two peugeots and they are a joy.

Re:

Had this same problem. I just filed out my tacx lock ring spanner a tiny bit to fit the larger diameter of the Mavis lock ring. It still works on normal diameter lock rings as well.

You’d be welcome to borrow the adapter spanner if you’re ever near Leeds.

Back