Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:58 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:48 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Jingle Jangle wrote:
I am a previous owner of this frame, and I would almost certainly have offered it for sale on LFGSS, as I buy and sell many frames on that forum.

I purchased this particular frame from a very well respected collector and restorer of vintage bicycles. As far as I am aware, it has never been through Hilary Stone (not that that would be a problem).

Also, as far as I am aware, I sold the frame for the same price (more or less) that I bought it for. I am not a dealer, and have no desire to become one.

Thanks, like I say I am building it up for a friend. I have no idea where he bought it and how much he paid for it.
I am just after a date for the frame so I can get an idea of the components to build it up with.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:09 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

Thanks for posting the pic, 3 digit serial code is promising but the location and orientation are different on mine, I’ll keep hunting.

Post subject: Re: Youngs of Lewisham
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:54 pm 
Feature Bike
Feature Bike

Psimpson wrote:
roadking wrote:
I had a very similiar Youngs to yours (same headbadge), tried to sell it on here with no joy: sold to Hilary Stone and it was bought by a RetroBike member for many times what I originally offered it for !

Yours has a rather mismatched lug set.

Makes me wonder.

Rk.

Do you mean this post?

Are you saying this frame is the one you sold to Hilary Stone?

Quote:
Bought on LFGSS - you've not read my post on this thread ?

LFGSS? I don't know what this means, I don't know where my friend bought this.

Apologies for being a bit dim,

No need to apologise.

That's definitely a Youngs' of Lewisham frame, almost certainly made sometime in the last century. (Please note the correct placing of the apostrophe - the Youngs twins insisted on it.)

I used to have one that was similar (although mine displayed many superior feaures to yours; this I can verify because I am recognised by most cogniscenti as a highly respected afficionado).

Mine was eventually sold to the Sultan of Brunei for something of a massive profit [the S o B is a personal friend, but I still make him pay top dollar, the old goat!]. As an informative aside, all of his bikes have gold plated BB threads - it's a feature I insist on for him, and for my own steeds. (Please don't attempt to replicate this approach though - without the correct certification it can be lethal.)

Most people on this forum, or LGBT, or CCNT won't have a clue about this sort of niche journeyman atelier build: luckily there are a few of us out there still flying the flag!

Good luck with your restoration - I'm looking forward to critiquing it for you (no charge for the first 5 crits. as you are new).

DB

[Lightweight Hero, T.T.F.N, F.R.T.S., Considerably richer than yow]

Post subject: Re: Youngs of Lewisham
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:40 am 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

;-)