Assistance Required

peetbarker

Retro Newbie
Well, after months of searching, one of my holy grails came up on eBay, and I am now the proud owner of a 1987 Raleigh Record Sprint. (dated from the Weinmann 500 brakes!)

I had hoped it was the slightly earlier version, with the Aerospace Countour tubing, but this will fit the bill for now...

I've previously obtained a NOS set of decals for it (the Aerospace tubing one, but they are identical bar the downtube one, which isn't used on the 87 version) (any ideas where I can get these duplicated?)

Plus a NOS Selle Royal saddle finished in Black Suede effect.

I picked it up this morning, and have now stripped it right back to frame, with only the chain needing removal, plus the crank set...

This is where i now need assistance...

How do i remove the crank set? It appears to have 14mm bolts, but I cannot find a socket that will fit into the recess...

How do I remove the suntour 6 speed freewheel?

Where can I get the Weinmann 700c rims re-anodised black?

The issue of amber wall 700c tyres I will leave for another day!

In essence, the bike is as it left the factory, as it even had the original cable ends on, which I have had to remove.

All the components are there, and most just need a good clean or soak in degreaser!

For a 21 year old bike, the paintwork is in very good shape, but I think I will still get it refinished.. Is this powder coated, or simply painted? (plus, how do I remove the headbadge without damaging it?)

I'll get some pics posted up later of the bike disassembled, and hope in the coming weeks to get it back up and running.

Then, all i need to do is start and finish the 1984 Pulsar and the 1984 Pursuit...

Lots of questions I know, but the last time I took a bike apart was when I was 16, and that was 20 years ago!!

Attachments

• From eBay.jpg
    From eBay.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 797
Q - How do i remove the crank set? It appears to have 14mm bolts, but I cannot find a socket that will fit into the recess...
A - Try a crank remover availabule from our LBS

Q - How do I remove the suntour 6 speed freewheel?
A - You need 2 chain whips again your LBS will have these

Q - Where can I get the Weinmann 700c rims re-anodised black?
A - Start with your local Yellow Pages and look for anodisers, failing that Google or depending wehere you are I think people have used Mansfield Anodisers.

As for the replacment Decals look for Gil_m on here he's your man

one final thing Welcome !

The rear freewhell may well be a Raleigh special thingy. I used to have a Raleigh Quasar many moons ago which was virtually the same setup. I've got about four of the spanners if you need one.

Des,

Thanks for your reply

The freewheel is Suntour (6 speed)

If you have a tool going spare, PM me with how much you want for it, and I'll organise payment

Thanks

The Suntour Freewheel tool will either be a 2 or a 4 prong suntour remover (easy to see with the rear wheel out+ skewer off)

Park Tool still make the tools for about 6/7 quid ea from your LBS

The head badge will be either glued or riveted on depending on age. If glued, heat with a hairdryer and carefully remove. If riveted, drill out rivet carefully

Andy

Got any close up pics.

I had one of these - though an earlier one with round 501 tubes.

Had gold anodised cranks and brakes and Campag gears.

Thanks guys

This is the post Round-Oval-Round 'Aerospace Countor' model. (c. 1987)

Sachs Huret Rival rear mech, Sugino GT Crank and Chainrings

Spent the evening taking the Weinmann 500's apart to service and clean them, they now look like new!

I'll get some more pics posted.

Well, i would post more pics, but seem unable to.......

Back