Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:26 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:45 pm 
Dirt Disciple

There is actually a fair bit of difference between the two frames (relatively speaking).

The Banana is 'Raleigh 18-23', which is the cheapest, plain-gauge carbon steel that Raleigh used (similar to bottom of the range Peugeots, with their Carbolite 103 tubing). The stamped drop outs were also inferior, and they didn't have a derailleur hanger, requiring a mech with one of those steel plates.

The Kellog's Pro Tour used Reynolds 501 butted main tubes and (I think) Gipiemme drop outs - altogether a better frame, which isn't saying much, as neither was considered 'serious' at the time - they were seen as "children's bikes" (I know, as I had a Raleigh 501 frame in a different guise, as a teenager, and it was sniffed at by other members of my club).

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:45 am 
Devout Dirtbag

Cheers Alpha that's good info that :)

The thing I like most about the bike is the colour scheme. It just looks bang on, and the name banana, it's what cyclists eat or at least should eat lol.

I know a lot of peeps say that the frame is the heavy 18-23 and it is frowned upon, but I don't get it.

I have a 6.8kg Cannondale CAAD 12 here and I much prefer riding the Banana to that and it's almost 4kg heavier lol.

There is something about the geometry and the steel frame that just feels racy to me.

I bought this bike for £65 thinking, ah I'll probably get it rolling for about a hundred quid.. Over a grand later, she's about there lol.

I'll be out on her later, hunting down other cyclists so they can see a flash of retro yellow and black buzz by 8)

Attachment:
a.jpg
a.jpg [ 426.17 KiB | Viewed 107 times ]

Attachment:
b.jpg
b.jpg [ 364.14 KiB | Viewed 107 times ]

Attachment:
c.jpg
c.jpg [ 415.36 KiB | Viewed 107 times ]

Attachment:
d.jpg
d.jpg [ 421.75 KiB | Viewed 107 times ]

Attachment:
e.jpg
e.jpg [ 487.65 KiB | Viewed 107 times ]

Attachment:
f.jpg
f.jpg [ 389.58 KiB | Viewed 107 times ]

Attachment:
g.jpg
g.jpg [ 385.01 KiB | Viewed 107 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:24 am 
Dirt Disciple

Cycling is rife with snobbery - not to the extent of golf, but there are still ridiculous numbers of people who think that a 'better' bike makes them a more serious rider. We used to have a guy in our club, who rode a British Eagle 501 with ancient components, for time trialling. He beat everyone by at least3 minutes on 10 miles. Twas fun to watch guests turn up with carbon wheels and aero helmets, and get smoked by the guy with football trainers in toe clips.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:16 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

lol that guy sounds like a hero :)

I think that's partly why I ride the banana so much, because it's regarded as the under dog, so when I get a new PB on strava or something I'm always way more pleased than if I do it on the latest CAAD.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:57 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

FiveAlpha wrote:
Cycling is rife with snobbery - not to the extent of golf, but there are still ridiculous numbers of people who think that a 'better' bike makes them a more serious rider. We used to have a guy in our club, who rode a British Eagle 501 with ancient components, for time trialling. He beat everyone by at least3 minutes on 10 miles. Twas fun to watch guests turn up with carbon wheels and aero helmets, and get smoked by the guy with football trainers in toe clips.

Try HiFi for a hobby with added snobbery, the level of snake oil level willy swinging is mind blowing.

Anyway, I really like your Banana @ThePowster, you've done a great job with it, the money you've spent on it is yours to spend however you like and ultimately your bike only has to please you and you alone.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:00 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

Thanks Allen.

I'm really enjoying it, also can't wait to nip to the pub on it when summer gets here, shes real pretty lol :)

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:23 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Cool bike indeed. Top work

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:26 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

Cheers Nick :)