90s dura ace, what frame?

Jimny14

Dirt Disciple
OK people, I know it's not amazingly retro (yet) but if you had a full 7700 dura ace kit what frame would you hang it on? Thinking period specific so 1996-2000 ish?

Early Carbon too - either one of those half carbon ones (because they are of a time) or a Trek OCLV. I know there isn't much love for Trek, and also because of HIM. But nothing shrieks 1999 like one in my view!
Alternatively how about a Giant TCR?

or you can search also for any columbus nemo, neuron, .... frame.

but good luck ! ;) I'm actually looking also for one of these (or a TVT ) in size 54 ;) to dress with a DA 7400; not period correct but love them !

hamster":31qx9ppb said:
Early Carbon too - either one of those half carbon ones (because they are of a time) or a Trek OCLV. I know there isn't much love for Trek, and also because of HIM. But nothing shrieks 1999 like one in my view!
Alternatively how about a Giant TCR?

Agree. Then again I might be biased, as mine is a 1998 US Postal (first version) with 25th anniversary Dura-Ace :) Nothing wrong with having a US Postal frame, everyone was doing what Mr Armstrong was doing anyway. I think mine is kinda cool in a strange way, if you know what I mean. It would be like saying that on principle you are going to boycott RBS due to what Fred Goodwin did, so you bank with Nat West or Barclays, thinking they had far better morals at that time.

Another good frame choice would be a Colnago C40. Yes it might be sacrilege to put Shimano onto such a frame, but it is what a lot of the pro teams had - Mapei, Rabobank. It also looks sort of right. It was when Shimano were starting to take over the top road market from Campagnolo, so it is like the start of a new era in cycling, so to speak.

Re:

Lots of interesting ideas n thoughts, my original thought was a us postal built up to not win the TDF just for the interest of it but wondered what other people thought. I can see why some people would shy away from it but it's period and defiantly iconic

Re: Re:

Jimny14":3rbp3ww6 said:
Lots of interesting ideas n thoughts, my original thought was a us postal built up to not win the TDF just for the interest of it but wondered what other people thought. I can see why some people would shy away from it but it's period and defiantly iconic

The OCLV is an absolute legend! When I got it in 1998, it was my dream frame. At the time, it was the strongest and lightest production frame in the world. People who had one said that it rode like a good steel frame, but a lot lighter and more rigid. It is an iconic frame; I will never part with mine :)

All these bikes are great bikes. Choosing for a new project is not easy , but that's part of the fun ;) Sometimes I've learnt a lot doing this exercise.

If it helps you, what I do in my case is to give more importance to a sum of factors like the brand I'm a fan of, for whatever reason , (Pinarello is mine), a particular rider or team, ...than just THE FRAME.

In summary, I like bikes I'm proud riding on a Sunday and not because they ride well, or are particularly light, or ... So when I'm riding my (heavy) Montello , I feel like Perico Delgano winning the Tour , or like Ulrich with my Pinarello Paris...

Of course if you are a big collector and have plenty of money, that's another story, but that works for me as I have limited budget and space.

What I wanted to say is that early trek oclv frames are iconic and very nice, but as said, mainly because of HIM, I thing there are other iconic bikes I'd choose first and a Colnago C40 (or a Master... ) will be one of them. Are you more towards italian brands, french, british, ... bikes ? that can also help you to choose.

Attachments

• colnago.jpg
    colnago.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 809
Re:

To be honest I'm pretty new to retro bikes and cycling as a hobby again. I don't tend to have much allegiance toward a particular manufacturer or country but there has to be something that sparks an interest for me, that can be anything from something local to either where I grew up or live now to an era I have a particular fondness / memory of. My ideas tend to start with a bit of a possible bargain I've spotted and build from there to be honest, I am from Yorkshire after all

Back