How best to look after gum brake hoods

focomat 1c

Retro Guru
As a visitor from the MTB 'section' , my apologies for this I am sure frequently asked question

I have noticed some markings to the gum brake hoods on my Viscount . While the hoods remain flexible
with no sign of any cracking , I just wondered how best to protect/feed? the rubber in the long term .
The bike is normally stored away from daylight/sunlight

Thanks for your advice

I'm pretty sure there's nothing you can do to feed them, I seem to remember reading UV is the killer so keep them covered up and don't ride your bike :D or buy some spares for the future.

Treating them with a silicone based latex lube/shiner helps prolong the life of rubber.

Re: Re:

Big Block":2kupbq55 said:
I use 303 Aerospace Protectorant.

It works.

I bought this on Big B’s recommendation... he’s right, it does work.

I use Armour All Protectant. Seems to work. Says it protects against heat, ozone and ultra violet rays and prevents cracking and fading. Apply 2 to 3 coats. Allow to soak in and dry. Then a maintenance coat now and again. Leaves a nice shine. Good for brake and gear cable outers, mudguards and other plastic and rubber bits.

Re:

Thanks for the advice

In other words use car cleaning/detailing products aimed at vinyl and rubber care

I should have thought of this as I already have some !

for gums I use vaselin (liquid), pretty cheap. I go to the pharmacy with a little bottle and they fill it for an euro... (otw it costs more the bottle than the liquid ;)

Back