Eddy Merckx Titanium - newbie questions

amosian

Retro Newbie
Hi. New to the forum so please excuse me if posting in wrong section or breaking any forum rules.

I'm a keen leisure cyclist (no races yet) - 5000km per year, mainly cafe runs between 50-100km. I have an Enigma Esprit dressed in SRAM Force 22 and a Whyte MTB for bad weather and dog walks. A 10yr old Spesh Allez sits on the turbo. Always had a hankering to undertake a bit of a project so my mind turned to retro bikes...

I've picked up an Eddy Merckx Titane titanium. Originally looking for steel but I do love the feel of titanium and this one is very handsome to my eye. Problem is, there is hardly any info out there about these bikes so I was hoping someone on here may know a bit or be able to point me in the right direction. Here's what I know:

- mid-90s bike. Would have been built by Litespeed when under the control of Dave Lynskey using Merckx Century geometry
- campag chorus/veloce groupset but with dura ace chainset
- dt swiss wheels
- frame in excellent condition and the provenance of it having an easy life checks out

What I'd like to know:

- the model. I think its an AX but the cable guides and metal badge on the headset are unusual as is the finish to the titanium
- what is the titanium finish? Is it "raw" with polished decals? How do I tend any scratches? Scotchbrite seems to have mixed reviews
- how would you build it up? I plan to clean, lube, polish, replace worn parts initially, ride over the spring/summer and then "tinker". I'm torn between taking it right back to how it might have been or putting some modern parts on it to make it fully useable

Any other info greatly received. I'm excited to have a new project and looking forward to becoming an active member of the forum

Pics to follow....

Ian

Re:

So sorry. How do I attach pics? Have shrunk to less thank 500kb but telling me it has to be a max of 0 pixels

Re:

I think you need to reach a minimum post count before you can post pics?

Bike sounds interesting, I've always liked EM bikes and titanium, both together are about as good as it gets :)

Re: Re:

foz":70c5lqqb said:
I think you need to reach a minimum post count before you can post pics?

Bike sounds interesting, I've always liked EM bikes and titanium, both together are about as good as it gets :)

Thanks for the response. I had the same thought.

Buying unseen was a big gamble but EM doesn't usually produce rubbish and a new bike is a better way to spend my mid-life crisis than other even more expensive pursuits.

I will get these pictures up

Back