What folding bike???

flash

Retrobike Rider
So I sometimes work away and was talking to a cycling colleague about how pleasant it would be to ride in the evenings, instead of hitting the hotel bar (which could still be done, but later). So he's thinking Brompton and I'm thinking of really cheap fold up shopper. So it needs to fit in the (wee) boot of a Fiat Panda, Singlespeed or SA 3 speed and I'm guessing maximum 16" wheels. I'm not looking to beat Strava PB's just a quick pootle some evenings. Thoughts???

The crunch issue is the trade-off between folded space and ride performance.
Bromptons win hands-down for fold, but are an acquired taste ride-wise.
As a compromise I'd probably go with a 20" folder for something nicer to ride. Being a good RB tinkerer I'd rebuild it with lighter wheels and put it on a diet. I'd probably go singlespeed to make it more fun to ride hard.

However as even my tourer with racks and full guards fits into my Mk1 Yaris (seats folded and front wheel out) why buy a folder at all?
I'm increasingly interested in Rinko - easy with my old steel Witcomb and with 15 minutes each way to set up and dismantle...?
rinko18.jpg

That’s one I’d not heard of. The reason why it needs to go in the boot is so nothing is visible when the car is parked outside the hotel, so hopefully less chance of break in...

I’ve had a look at them on line. Nice but way too good/ expensive for my needs..

Rinko is only a way to pack a bike down! Provided you don't have mudguards then you can get very close to the pack size. It does depend on what frame size you ride admittedly!

Back