Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun May 31, 2020 10:51 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 2:35 pm 

Hey guys trying to decide between these two bikes, any thoughts?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blue-Mercian ... SwqaNcrfLW

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Peug ... SwcyVcrxlg

Are they worth the cash you reckon?

Cheers!

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 11:36 pm 
Old School Hero

Hi, I would say they are both ambitiously priced , I am a Peugeot man myself , this one is an import ( it seems to have a french dealer sticker ) I would say from about 1980 and have you noticed it has a triple chainset and it has a prestige sticker indicating it was made in Peugeot`s Prestige frame shop which dealt with the special order ( PY models ) and higher end bikes. It features Vitus 181 tubing which I think was just the 3 main tubes . It looks a nice rust free example but I would think if it makes over £200 the seller has done very well. I am not really familiar with Mercians but I would expect the frame will also be top quality however it has no braze on`s , not even for a bottle cage and I suspect it is older than the Peugeot. Good luck with your search and don`t pay too much, steel bikes ( even great ones ) are not commanding the prices they did a couple of years ago ( they will bounce back ) but at the moment you can prob make some cheeky offers! .

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 11:58 pm 
Old School Hero

I would agree with Marshalllucky- a little ambitious on price, but look OK bikes. Depends on whether you think the missus will actually use it regularly or just once or twice and what you want to budget. Being able to inspect it before commitment is a good idea since an inspection of cranks/wheels/headset etc can ensure a trouble-free purchase. Have you considered a Mixte steel frame rather than a men's frame (and geometry)?- it might suit better; I built my wife a Viner Stellar (small mens frame c.46/47cm) from frame up and Campagnolo Chorus parts I had around. It took 2 saddles, 2 stems and 2 handlebar changes before we had a fit that she was comfortable with. I love it, she loves it, it get's regular use, so happy in the end!

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 6:11 am 
Retro Guru

Is it definitely a Mercian though. Thin plate dropouts on a Mercian. Looks nice though and reasonable kit but I’d want to see a frame number before paying that.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 6:16 am 
Retro Guru

Just seen the frame number. If Mercian can confirm it’s one of there’s then I’d go for it over the Peugeot.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 7:51 am 
King of the Skip Monkeys
King of the Skip Monkeys

I'd check that the missus would fit first! Watched a couple on matching road bikes, the poor lady was stuffed onto a run of the mill something perched at a very odd position and didnt look happy as her husband stomped off.

If it were me, the Peugeot is just that little bit more modern and convenient for sorting later more user friendly gearing and braking.

And you can always make an offer.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 7:55 am 
Devout Dirtbag

Not sure why you'd want a heavier, less stiff mixte frame in preference to a conventional diamond if your wife has no mobility issues and doesn't feel the need to sit in the corner of the pub/kitchen with a sweet sherry. I'd agree that (as with men's saddles) finding the right one can cost a small fortune. Still looking for the right one for Mrs Z's Bianchi.

Also agree that although both bikes are nice, the prices are a little racy. I'd probably not think that if I were selling them. Instinctively, I'd shy away from the Peugeot just because of their propensity to use funny sizes. Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 9:32 am 
Retro Guru

legrandefromage wrote:
If it were me, the Peugeot is just that little bit more modern and convenient for sorting later more user friendly gearing and braking.

The flip side to that argument is potential hassle in later sourcing French threaded headsets and bottom bracket s

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 9:36 am 
King of the Skip Monkeys
King of the Skip Monkeys

pigman wrote:
legrandefromage wrote:

The flip side to that argument is potential hassle in later sourcing French threaded headsets and bottom bracket s

That era of Peugeot was fairly conventional by then, its a 1980's model, only the frustratingly small 24mm ish seatpost size seemed to still be hanging round on the lower end models.

This was all conventional threading (1979/80)

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 9:56 am 
Devout Dirtbag

Corsa Record chainset & seat pillar and that would look the business, M. Fromage! ;-)