Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:45 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:10 pm 
Newbie

Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:58 pm
Posts: 3
Thank you , it's a 10 speed so it's a majestic.I am in the process of restoring it but I am in two minds about respraying as it's a lovely colour .


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SWB Tandem age?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:08 pm 
Newbie

Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:04 pm
Posts: 2
Hello,

I have USWB Tandem. The number on the fork is 406867. Does this make it made in June 1944?

Thanks


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SWB Tandem age?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:23 pm 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:42 pm
Posts: 2913
Location: VCC Member 5558 East Riding of Yorkshire
rscrase wrote:
Hello,

I have USWB Tandem. The number on the fork is 406867. Does this make it made in June 1944?

Thanks


Doubtful, neither 1934 or 1944 would have a 0 immediately after the year. Dating by numbers alone is always sketchy.
Without photos of the whole bike, plus details, plus the number we would just be guessing, sorry

Ps. Are you sure the second digit isn’t a 9?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:37 pm 
Newbie

Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:04 pm
Posts: 2
The numbers are very clear. The sturmey rear hub is 1955 so 1954? I'll prepare some pictures.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:45 pm 
Newbie

Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:58 pm
Posts: 3
Hi i have uploaded a picture at start of my 1981 bike project .


Attachments:
claud butler .jpg
claud butler .jpg [ 222.07 KiB | Viewed 1171 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:59 pm 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:42 pm
Posts: 2913
Location: VCC Member 5558 East Riding of Yorkshire
rscrase wrote:
The numbers are very clear. The sturmey rear hub is 1955 so 1954? I'll prepare some pictures.


Pictures would be great, because without we can only work via a process of elimination,
Claud was making Tandems way back in 1934, but didn’t list the Ultra Short Wheel Base in the ’34 catalogue. The War did reduce the range, but in 1942 the USWB was advertised, so maybe some were being built in 1944.
The problem with your number is that it doesn’t fit anything from 1931-1949 as explained earlier, those years would have been the first digit followed by the month without a precursory 0. (so June 1934 or 44 would be start 46 not 406.
The system from 1950 to 1956 would have to have a 5 in it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:05 pm 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:42 pm
Posts: 2913
Location: VCC Member 5558 East Riding of Yorkshire
mulcahyronan wrote:
Hi i have uploaded a picture at start of my 1981 bike project .


Ah ha! see? Photo's make all the difference, I believe what you have there my friend is a Bronze 'Sovereign' not much different from the Majestic, certainly rarer...


Attachments:
1981 Sovereign.JPG
1981 Sovereign.JPG [ 208.25 KiB | Viewed 1170 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:50 am 
Newbie

Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:26 am
Posts: 1
Hi Guys,
Just found picked up what appears to be a 1951 Claud Butler "Worlds Championship Sprint " model track bike in original condition. Are these early bikes very common.
The stickers on the frame mention where it was sold when new and although I purchased it in country Victoria, Australia the bike may have been sold in New Zealand.
I have never seen or heard of such a brand here in Australia before I purchased this bike. I would like to post a few photos if some one can help out.

frame numbers are stamped underneath
512
5361

The bike also has a front seat support and the inch pitch tooth chain and ring gear is still in good condition. The original pedals and toe clips and straps are OK. The paint colour is a metallic Grey and still has most of the transfers/stickers in tact and readable.

Regards
Dave


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:45 am 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:42 pm
Posts: 2913
Location: VCC Member 5558 East Riding of Yorkshire
twin4 wrote:
Hi Guys,
Just found picked up what appears to be a 1951 Claud Butler "Worlds Championship Sprint " model track bike in original condition. Are these early bikes very common.
The stickers on the frame mention where it was sold when new and although I purchased it in country Victoria, Australia the bike may have been sold in New Zealand.
I have never seen or heard of such a brand here in Australia before I purchased this bike. I would like to post a few photos if some one can help out.

frame numbers are stamped underneath
512
5361

The bike also has a front seat support and the inch pitch tooth chain and ring gear is still in good condition. The original pedals and toe clips and straps are OK. The paint colour is a metallic Grey and still has most of the transfers/stickers in tact and readable.

Regards
Dave


Hello Dave,
Photos would be great to see, if your struggling to post them, please email me and I’ll pop them up.
The number you’ve posted is intriguing. As with an approximate average of 600 frames a month, February’s numders would be somewhere in the 600-1200 bracket.
Make sure you send us a good photo of the frame number, maybe even two from different angles.

As for your question about it being rare. Although they were in the range from 1949 right up to CB’s demise in 1956 & with it being the most expensive of the track/path models, I’ve never seen one in the flesh! So I’m looking forward to seeing the photos as it sounds like you’ve found something very special.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group