Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:56 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:34 pm 
BoTM | rBoTM | rider
BoTM | rBoTM | rider

Very nice... certainly looks more like the pre-war design, not that there's any real difference between two other than the higher spec kit.
The number is a little odd as it would be reasonable to assume that they would have made more than 628 frame by May 1934... whereas it wouldn't be such a surprise if it was a 1944 number as their war work wasn't stamped/numbered in the same way as the civilian stuff, hence lower numbers throughout the war years. Of course they would be happy to make any old designs for the right price during the war, advertised or not.
dwscrimshaw has a numbers list which might help compare with any other May 1934/44 numbers, but I'm not sure if he has enough (or any). One last thing that might tip the scales in favour of 1934 is what BB threads it has. if they are the larger Chater-Lea they were more prevalent pre war I think.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:19 pm 

Hi, I'm new to the forum but have found this thread very interesting.
I recently purchased a fully chromed CB frame from ebay. The chrome is shocking in places and so the bike was cheap.
It has the riveted head badge and the early signature decals on the down tube.
The bottom bracket number (repeated on the steerer tube) is 2733.
The rear brake stay is typical CB curved. There is a threaded hole for an oiler on the upper left of the BB shell which is also stamped "RGF" (which I believe is for Gargatte Brothers) The seat tube top lug is stamped "72*" on the right hand side and "A" on the left. The head tube is also set at 72 degrees. Front dropouts are forged "Brev Simplex" rears unbranded pressed without a hanger. There is a single shifter braze on on the RH downtube.
Nearly all the equipment with the bike appears to be 1970s/80s "upgrades". The BB is ,for example, a quality Nadax Favorit sealed unit.
Now here is my problem. The BB numbering is odd in that the 4 digits are widely spaced across the whole width of the bottom bracket which I have never seen before. Additionally I can't identify the lugs. They seem not to be quite Nervex Pros . In fact the nearest I can see are the De-luxe illustrated in the 1956/57 CB catalogue.
My question therefore is do you think this is a 1959 first year Holdsworth or not.
I will now attempt to upload some pictures but as this is my first time please bear with me.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:59 pm 
BoTM | rBoTM | rider
BoTM | rBoTM | rider

Tarbyarmy wrote:
Hi, I'm new to the forum but have found this thread very interesting.
I recently purchased a fully chromed CB frame from ebay. The chrome is shocking in places and so the bike was cheap.
It has the riveted head badge and the early signature decals on the down tube.
The bottom bracket number (repeated on the steerer tube) is 2733.
The rear brake stay is typical CB curved. There is a threaded hole for an oiler on the upper left of the BB shell which is also stamped "RGF" (which I believe is for Gargatte Brothers) The seat tube top lug is stamped "72*" on the right hand side and "A" on the left. The head tube is also set at 72 degrees. Front dropouts are forged "Brev Simplex" rears unbranded pressed without a hanger. There is a single shifter braze on on the RH downtube.
Nearly all the equipment with the bike appears to be 1970s/80s "upgrades". The BB is ,for example, a quality Nadax Favorit sealed unit.
Now here is my problem. The BB numbering is odd in that the 4 digits are widely spaced across the whole width of the bottom bracket which I have never seen before. Additionally I can't identify the lugs. They seem not to be quite Nervex Pros . In fact the nearest I can see are the De-luxe illustrated in the 1956/57 CB catalogue.
My question therefore is do you think this is a 1959 first year Holdsworth or not.
I will now attempt to upload some pictures but as this is my first time please bear with me.

Hello Tarby, you ask some reasonable questions... TBH I really don't know if it is a Holdsworth Claud or not, but have posted some of your pictures on the Holdsworth Claud thread here;
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=396384&p=3076762#p3076762
Hopefully someone may shed some light on it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:42 pm 

Firstly, thank to Peachy for posting my pictures on the Holdsworth Claud thread. I would have torn out the last of my already thinning hair without his help.

Now for something more about the frame. I have discovered that the lugs are Nervex, serie Legere 86 bis/158. This pattern was commonly used by Holdsworth on their late 50s/ early 60s Freddie Grubb frames. These also incorporated a curved rear brake bridge similar to CB.

This might therefore be a FG rebadged as a CB or a CB made up using lugs from the FG parts bin. I would favour the latter given the frame numbering.

Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:47 pm 

Oh and the tubing appears to be Accles and Pollock rather than Reynolds

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:48 pm 

Oh and the tubing appears to be Accles and Pollock rather than Reynolds

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:27 pm 
Old School Hero

I just submitted a message on viewtopic.php?f=12&t=396384&p=3076762#p3076762

Interestingly and coincidentally I have seemingly simultaneously come to similar thoughts. :D Although I believe likely a Holdsworthy/Claud Coureur and not a Holdsworthy/Grubb.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:40 pm 

I’m just starting the frame restoration and was looking for a 3/8 “ oiler.
After much research I found a place in Bolton who supply a great replacement.
They are called The Nipple Shop.
Bet they get thousands of misdirected emails !!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25