Mystery old bike can anyone identify...

tim-d

Retro Newbie
Hi all - have just joined site as amongst a couple of Dawes Galaxies I recently bought was this - it's fresh from a trip to the powdercoaters as was in a shocking state when I got it - acquired for all of £8 from a seller in Paignton (which may be significant) equipped with a mix of '90's shimano / campag components and 27" Mavic rims on Campag hubs it's obviously been through several life cycles.....as it currently sports braze on shifter stubs

Frame is 26" - perfect for me, and incredibly light, lugs are Nervex and dropouts flat.....

As acquired was painted light purple with "Collin Lewis" downtube decals.... Colin Lewis (note single "l") being a fairly famous rider of days gone by resident in Paignton - but given disparate spelling I don't suspect one has much to do with the other.....

So folks - before I put together a "spare part bitsa" would anyone care to hazard a guess as to what this bike may have originally rolled out as?

https://imgur.com/a/cGnZBhI

Frame and fork numbers are consistent as "D1169".....?

Re:

Ernie Clements, I'd say. They can be very light - I had a 22" Clements frame that was 4lb 2oz including powdercoat. It may not be 531DB - other good tubesets were around, like Accles and Pollock Kromo.

Re:

I know lots of people used the same lugs and fittings but here’s the front of my Stallard. Looked similar.

Attachments

• 72C70ACE-EB5C-4437-A5F4-BF6888089838.jpeg
    72C70ACE-EB5C-4437-A5F4-BF6888089838.jpeg
    70.9 KB · Views: 2,568
thanks folks - I'm not exactly knowledgeable on old makes - I can put bikes together in a flash though!Off to do some further web investigating - any more thoughts I'd be most grateful

Looks like its sporting French Nervex lugs “Serie Legere” Model 48, same as on my 1961 Claud Super Courier, don’t think it’s a Claud though, but that wrap over seat stay looks great. :xmas-cool:

Attachments

• HeadBadge.jpeg
    HeadBadge.jpeg
    195.1 KB · Views: 2,366
  • Huret Shifters.jpeg
    Huret Shifters.jpeg
    180.9 KB · Views: 2,366
  • Nervex.jpg
    Nervex.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 2,366
Re:

Great looking frame, whatever it is. And pretty old I would think, with the lack of rear derailleur hanger. Interesting rear dropouts, too.

Re:

Hi have spent some weeks researching Nervex Serie Legere Lugs and am pretty sure this bike is the same as mine a 1961/2 Claud Butler Coureur /Super Coureur.
These lugs were used at the same time as Nervex Professional and in my opinion more ornate as i did not like the claw pattern.

I reckon the DT gear lever bosses are a later addition, possibly when refurbished by 'Collin'.

Colin Lewis was more than 'fairly' famous. He rode the Tour de France the year Tommy Simpson died (I think?) and was a regular winner in UK professional races. Can't understand how the decals could be spelled wrong though?

Back