Any Swinnerton Gurus here?

Psimpson

Retro Guru
My next project for a Friends Niece, I think it's late 60's early 70's.

45882967_10156773696943399_6144773864590147584_n.jpg

Any one able to help?

45960171_10156773703703399_3164762848379273216_n.jpg

Cable stop on downtube for front derailliuer.

45763805_10156773703858399_945825556052574208_n.jpg

Light boss on front forks.

46091628_10156773704098399_761043173781798912_n.jpg

Pump pegs on underside of top tube.

45710331_10156773704403399_3125209828830478336_n.jpg

Campag drop outs.

Re:

I don’t recall them building frames themselves. The shop is still family run- give Paul Swinnerton a call. He’s old enough to remember

I think my friends Niece called the shop but the person she spoke to didn’t show much interest.
Perhaps I should try to call Paul Swinnerton.

Frank Herety also built some frames for them as his Daughter married into the family, usually those frames have FH stamped on the bottom bracket.

Re: Re:

bagpuss":ug2hxgmo said:
From what I heard years ago,Mercians built some frames for them back in the day.

If you hadn't said it, I would have :). I seem to remember that it was either Brian Rourke or Les West that told me (I think!) and if anyone should know it would be one of them! Not heard the Frank Herety connection though - another schoolday moment!

Well just to throw another spanner in the works was I heard awhile back while looking at buying another Swinnerton frame that it was George Longstaffs daughter managed the shop for a while and George had made some frames for them as well. Memory may not be what it was as this was a couple of years back and unfortunately I didn't get the frame but was sure it was a Longstaff frame. Beautifully built frame.
That one above looks very Mercian to me by the seatstays and head lugs.

Jamie

Jamiedyer":3oyx4j67 said:
Well just to throw another spanner in the works was I heard awhile back while looking at buying another Swinnerton frame that it was George Longstaffs daughter managed the shop for a while and George had made some frames for them as well. Memory may not be what it was as this was a couple of years back and unfortunately I didn't get the frame but was sure it was a Longstaff frame. Beautifully built frame.
That one above looks very Mercian to me by the seatstays and head lugs.

Jamie
Remembered correctly

Re: Re:

Old Ned":2im2xv6p said:
bagpuss":2im2xv6p said:
From what I heard years ago,Mercians built some frames for them back in the day.

If you hadn't said it, I would have :). I seem to remember that it was either Brian Rourke or Les West that told me (I think!) and if anyone should know it would be one of them! Not heard the Frank Herety connection though - another schoolday moment!

I'm no guru, just some youth memories. The frame reminds me of my 2nd or 3rd paper round bike (which was given to
me by Brian Rourke pulled out from the skip behind his shop. Totally unfashionable and old fuddy duddy stuff back then
as it wasn't modern Italian race bred inspired - it shared nothing with what Hinault or Saronni was riding; but looking back it was lovely (and far too big!)). Even had grease nipples on the headtube and bottom bracket. Red and gold lug lined on with
metalic silver paint. Gold decals. I did the sin and converted a track bike to a road bike; drilling holes for brake calipers and fudging a rear mech on it etc. (the complete opposite of molesting road bikes during the fixie craze!). Unfortunatly mine had
no bracket for fixing an Ever Ready on the fork. Thank heavens for Wonder! Oh how I kick myself now as it went to the tip
when I left home.

I understood Brian Rourke used to work for Swinnertons before starting out on his own. Swinnertons was much more into track
bikes as I remember with a regular presence at the Newcastle track. Watched Paul race there a few time.

John Herety was often in the shop helping out - at least in the late-80s, most likely in his Percy Bilton era;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Herety (I assume that is the connection with Frank considering the same
surname?).

Another "Swinno" family tie is the Irish man TdF rider Martin Earley who was also knocking around the shop too.

I remember at the time, Doris Swinnerton was running the shop (or the shop floor at least). Can't remember ever
seeing Roy.

Anyhow, all that said, I guess that frame was built much earlier than mid-80s. Based on my paper boy bike,
something from the late 60s early 70s? Looks a nice frame; either a club rider or winter trainer?

Latest posts

Back