Frame pump advice

Looking for a bit of advice/opinion regarding a frame pump. Just got hold of an 80s Claude Butler tourer that needs a bit of TLC. In the process of stripping it now and planning on brazing on some shifter bosses, bottle bosses and pump peg(s). I want to spray and decal a pump to match the frame.

So, does the pump go under the top tube or on the left hand seat stay?
Also is it better to have a single peg with the type of pump that wedges into the frame or the type of pump that needs a peg at each end?

Don't even bother, most frame pumps won't get you enough air pressure to do anything other than limp home. Get a couple of C02 cartridges and be done with it.

1500 SLR":y4ub2hts said:
Don't even bother, most frame pumps won't get you enough air pressure to do anything other than limp home. Get a couple of C02 cartridges and be done with it.

Thats so not retro :LOL:

I'd go for under the top tube as Shawn says depends on where you want the bottles and spokes. You can get some really good wedge type pumps that will do more than get you home and get this you can use them again. How retro is that. ;)

kingbling":2hx9gc2o said:
1500 SLR":2hx9gc2o said:

Thats so not retro :LOL:

Technology moves on, if you've eve tried to pump up a tyre with a frame pump you'd understand why I made my comments.

Re:

I’m well aware of the merits of CO2 pumps, use them with the other 4 road bikes whenever I get a puncture.
Going for a retro aesthetic (hence spraying and decal-ing pump to match the frame) was just asking about positioning and the differences between wedge and ddouble ended pumps.
Quite like the seatstay mount but would that get in the way of a rack?
Bottle bosses would be going on down tube and seat tube.
If a mini-pump can boast 120psi with their ‘frantic roadside masturbating’ action then a big one should be fine. Also rigid mini pumps love to snap valves.

Re:

Position wise, wedge ended pumps can go under the top tube with a pump pip or down the seat tube. I think the seat stay option will foul the pannier rack.

So if you want 2 bottle cages, then you're looking at under the top tube. Finding a wedge ended pump that isn't modern looking, isn't rubbish and fits your frame might be tricky. Why not get a normal shaped pump and braze 2 stops under the top tube.

I have no idea if these pumps are any good, but they might have potential for painting and would work with brazed pegs:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Styl ... ctupt=true

If you could sacrifice a bit of the retro look, these are excellent pumps:

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/pumps/large ... -fit-pump/

They go nicely under the top tube if you have a pump pip on the back of the head tube.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Latest posts

Back