'69 Claud Butler Corridore Project

Erskine

Dirt Disciple
Y'all
I didn't really need another project but this waif and stray came along needing saving ......
Badly hand painted and lots of surface rust. I'm part way through stripping it back to metal. 21 1/2", very thin steel through out, weighs a squeak over 4lbs. Plain gauge not DB. Matching forks. Can see the braze where the pump pegs under the top tube were, and a blob on the right side of the down tube near the head. Found remnants of dark blue over white. Serial number is 56698. I've found a picture of a Massed Start European which has the same lugs but different forks:

https://www.sterba-bike.cz/item/claud-b ... ve?lang=EN

Attachments

• IMG_3484.JPG
    IMG_3484.JPG
    212.9 KB · Views: 810
Re:

Brake bridge has been bubba'd and needs replacing

Attachments

• IMG_3490.JPG
    IMG_3490.JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 806
Re: Claud Butler Frame ID

:D Great looking frame, and with the number 56698 it was built 50 frames before my son’s 1969 Electron Super Five #56748.

531 tubing and fancy lugs would suggest a higher end bike though.

Fork crown, top tube cable stops hung at an angle, down tube lug for a strap on lever and BB brazed on cable run all confirm it as a late 60’s Holdsworth.
As for which one… I’ll get back to you. ;)

Thanks Chris

The chainstays ring with the same pitch as the main tubes, there are no stampings on the rear and front drop outs. The rear drop out width is 120mm.

Ok, so, the 1969 range;
Cordon Bleu…wrong lugs, wrong stays
Corridore…. Not sure about lugs, fork is correct, but I’m pretty sure they only came in white with Italian bands
Electron S5… wrong lugs & tubes
Gran Sport….wrong forks (sloped)
Olympic Road… correct lugs, slightly older style fork crown
Olympic Track… wrong ends
Tipo Strada… no pump and no braze on lamp lug
Torino….wrong forks (sloped) and seat stay (wrap over)

Back