6 speed Regina Oro freewheel removal. Resolved.

onegoodbike

Merlin Fan
Feedback
View
Hi,

I've got a set of old sprints that I need to get the block off, it's a Regina Oro 6 speed which takes a two prong remover, however my Park FR-2 keeps slipping out of the slots even when clamped in with a skewer!.

I don't want to muck up the slots in the block so can anyone recommend a removal tool that will have the required depth to fit the slots properly.

If you can help it'd be great to hear from you. Cheers Matt

Re: 6 speed Regina Oro freewheel removal help please

Your freewheel remover should always be clamped on very firmly. the pressure helps to release the block.
Obviously when the freewheel unscrews a little you release some of the pressure.

Keith

Re:

Thanks Keith, it was clamped down pretty firmly, but I think it's been on a long time!.

Unfortunately due to the depth of the slots within the block I need a remover with plenty of depth to fit over the axle and still get a good fit into the slots. My park one is not quite deep enough and I don't want to damage the edges of either the slots or the prongs, so was hoping someone, having encountered the same issue, might be able to recommend a taller/longer/deeper one that'd overcome the issue.

Cheers Matt

Par FR2 is for a more recessed slot like on the Suntour, you need a meatier one like southcoast has used. ....

I had same issue years ago and I had to remove the axle (cones, bearings...) and use a spare axle to tight the remover as the skeewer was to weak, (used extra nuts...), fix it on the bench and move the wheel like I were driving a bus ;( Very painful, and got some ugly marks on the freeweel so hope you find a better solution...

Re:

If the worst comes to the worst you can unscrew the locking ring and dismantle the freewheel in situ to get just the inner body- the bit that's threaded onto the hub- directly in the vice.
...which also gives you the opportunity to service the freewheel.

Dunno how many pawls there are in a Regina? Obviously a vice clamps more securely across diametrically opposite pawl housings, which you don't get if there's three pawls. All my freewheels have/have had two diametrically opposite pawls.

If you have access to a bench vise you can clamp the tool tightly into the slots of the freewheel with your skewer and then clamp the tool horizontally in the vise and turn the wheel rather than the tool.

It still needs the tool to mate properly with the slots in the freewheel so you might need another tool but I've found that method to work with even the most stubborn freewheels.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, think i'll try removing the axle at the weekend and see if that gives me a bit of extra purchase :D .

Matt

Re:

Late to the party, but @Southcoast has it right. The VAR 188 (RL-18800) tool is the way to go. If you can find one, the VAR 368 freewheel vise is handy for removing all the cogs from the body.

How did you get on with removing your freewheel?

Latest posts

Back