Steve Wade (Orange bikes) Reynolds 753 frame

paul851

Dirt Disciple
Hi all ,
a bit of a mystery , I recently purchased a 753 frame from my local bike shop in Bradford the interesting thing is the back story that came with the frame . It is purported to have been built and supplied by Steve Wade of Orange bikes in part payment for some graphic design work done by the owner but unfortunately he is unable to find the original sales invoice :( the bike and owner are both well known to the local bike shop and had it powder coated for the owner a few years earlier as well as changing over from down tube shifters to brifters , the bike had a full Dura ace 7400 groupset though only the brakes,stem and front derailleur remain on the frame .
Basically what would be nice to know if possible is if anyone can cast any light on the story even if it's just a case of a friend of a friend heard so and so from the brother of the milkman who delivered to the corner shop next door .

Thanks in advance, Paul

Great story, if true it would be lovely to restore it to how it would have looked new.
Personally I'd do an orange and white clockwork fade with Dura Ace 7400. But I'm a bit like that...

Well, Orange did/do road bikes, the Dynamo springs to mind. Any idea of the age of the frame?
It's a great story, and could very likely be true, maybe if there was some way of contacting Steve Wade he might remember doing the deal?

Stick Legs":3bsew6bk said:
Great story, if true it would be lovely to restore it to how it would have looked new.
Personally I'd do an orange and white clockwork fade with Dura Ace 7400. But I'm a bit like that...

Not to sure about the Orange and white clockwork fade but I will be putting Dura ace 7400 back on helped by the fact I have a crank set in the spares box so just need a rear derailleur,shifters,seat post and hubs to complete .

jimo746":3bsew6bk said:
Well, Orange did/do road bikes, the Dynamo springs to mind. Any idea of the age of the frame?
It's a great story, and could very likely be true, maybe if there was some way of contacting Steve Wade he might remember doing the deal?

I have been told the bike is one owner from new and the brakes are single pivot 7402's which Google suggests is pre 1990 ? I have also been told the graphic design work was undertaken in the early days of Orange so late 80's early 90's ? all conjecture on my part to be honest , I'm might have to pump the owner of the local bike shop for a bit more info or maybe contact details for the owner (he left the frame with the Lbs to sell after taking of the bits he wanted to keep) and see if I can get a clearer story and time line .

Paul

Re:

It could well be legitimate as Steve was building a few frames around 89/90. The MTB version was the Formula and from what we know they were mainly built for team riders or mates. Perfectly believable story IMO.

A few pictures

Attachments

• IMG_1676.JPG
    IMG_1676.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 843
  • IMG_1677.JPG
    IMG_1677.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 843
  • IMG_1679.JPG
    IMG_1679.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 843
  • IMG_1683.JPG
    IMG_1683.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 843
  • IMG_1675.JPG
    IMG_1675.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 843
  • IMG_1680.JPG
    IMG_1680.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 843
Re:

it looks to be a bit of an enigma.

Over bracket gear tunnels suggest pre-80's
The braze on lever bosses and rear brake cable tunnel suggest well into the 80's, as does that fork crown style.

So possibly a 70's frame with later mods and not the original forks?
maybe, maybe not? who knows

Frame and fork have the same number also the fork has a filed flat with LL89042 or possibly LL80042/LL90042 stamped on as pictured above (a build date and builders initials ?) Maybe I should just pop down to there old premises on Hanson Lane and ask if anyone remembers it or anyone with those initials :D

Paul

Back