Fitting brake levers without scratching bars

FiveAlpha

Retro Guru
I've just bought a beautiful new pair of Cinelli Criterium bars, and I don't want them to end up like the pair that came off my current project (scratched, gouged and covered in glue residue).

So, I won't be using adhesive bar tape and I have carefully threaded them into my Shimano 600 stem.

Next, is it possible to use something under the lever clamps (samurai tape, hockey tape, insulating tape), so that they grip, but don't gouge the bars?

Has anyone used anything (effectively) for this?

Thanks

Re:

I don't know if '70s Cinelli bars (26.4mm ferrule) are fatter than TTT (26mm ferrule) They are certainly fatter than 25.4mm ferrule bars. I guess back in the '70s the brake manufacturers had to use a compromise lever clamp diameter to accommodate. So chances are the fatter bars (Cinelli) end up with the most scars.
I sure scarred my Cinelli 65s getting a pair of Campag NR levers on them. Mafac levers were good 'cause they had an openable clamp- you didn't have to wriggle them up from the bar ends. If your lever clamps are dimensioned anything like my Campag ones, you won't be able to get anything underneath them on anodised Cinelli bars.

My Shimano aero levers are equally tight. You can minimise the scratching by carefully easing on the clamp by itself, with the lever body detached, but I think you’ll struggle. Same goes for the bolt.

Jonny69":3fpduzkh said:
My Shimano aero levers are equally tight. You can minimise the scratching by carefully easing on the clamp by itself, with the lever body detached, but I think you’ll struggle. Same goes for the bolt.
I agree. I'm sure the Campag ones will open up and then sort of 'clip' back together leaving just the threaded post standing up ready to drop the lever on. Scratches on 'bars are just one of the things that one has to accept in this game I'm afraid.

Re:

I have always smoothed off the sharp edges of the clips (Dremel), they slide on easier too - Campagnolo/Shimano are a little more stubborn as most are chrome plated.

Rk.

Re:

They're on! Without a single scratch! I took the clamps off, used masking taped on the areas of the bar where they go, then fitted the levers.

Nobody else will know, but I will! And my bars will look new next time I unwrap them!

Thanks

Re:

I'm sure the Campag ones will open up and then sort of 'clip' back together leaving just the threaded post standing up ready to drop the lever on.

I think you are wrong there, Old Ned. As far as I am aware Campagnolo part no. 2033 is effectively a closed loop of chromed steel, both ends rivetted into the slotted post.

I reckon you are thinking of the Mafac ones.. a better system by far..

..but I could just be a simpleton who cannot work out how to open out Campagnolo part no. 2033....? :?

Re: Re:

torqueless":2rtwb1d8 said:
I'm sure the Campag ones will open up and then sort of 'clip' back together leaving just the threaded post standing up ready to drop the lever on.

I think you are wrong there, Old Ned. As far as I am aware Campagnolo part no. 2033 is effectively a closed loop of chromed steel, both ends rivetted into the slotted post.

I reckon you are thinking of the Mafac ones.. a better system by far..

..but I could just be a simpleton who cannot work out how to open out Campagnolo part no. 2033....? :?
Ah well, you may be right, just working on memory as I know I've opened up some similar clips a while back to fit them. I'll have to go down the shed and check!

Re:

The way I see it, if part no. 2033 had a removable rivet, Campagnolo would have listed parts 2033/1, 2033/2, and 2033/3- the band, the post, and the rivet. But they didn't.

If you've mounted Campag levers on Mafac lever-clamps, good for you. I might do the same if I had some Mafac lever clamps. My parents threw my Mafac 2000 brakeset away over thirty years ago when they moved house- didn't think to ask me if I wanted them. Philistines. Am I bitter? Harbouring resentments I should have let go of years back? OF COURSE I'M NOT!.... :evil: :facepalm: :? :)

Campagnolo may have changed to a different style of lever clamp later on... I wouldn't know.

Back