Need help selecting bar and quill stem combo

Sir Walter

Raleigh Fan
Hi Guys,

I've recently acquired a late 90's Tommasini Techno Tig and I am looking to change the bar and stem setup from the ITM Goccia stem (cheap and ugly) and 225 Italia Pro Bars to correct Period Cinelli setup.

My question is I'd like to stick to the anatomic style Ergo bars but there seams to be very limited choice in the Cinelli range if you want bright ally as I do, I know it was all about black bars and stem back then.

I have found Cinelli touch bars but read mixed reviews about creaking because of the 3 piece crimped design.

Stem wise I am looking at a Cinelli Pinnochio Columbus steel, just because I think this balances well with my columbus Genius Tig welded tube set and my Record Titanium seat post, this will or course put me on 26mm bars which may limit my choice still further. Had a brief flirt with the Grammo but its not working for me.

or I could just plum for the more traditional Giro Italia bars and an XA stem but this build is all about retro techno.

I openly welcome any ideas, input or opinions on this matter ???

Thanks Barry

Can't help you with the bars as to me anatomic are both uncomfortable and IMHO less than attractive on a steel bike.

Sticking with your theme of retro techno: how about a 3ttt Mutant quill?

Not tried one myself, but always looked at them as interesting...

My favourite retro techno combinations are Litespeed Ti quill with Deda 215 shallow in silver alloy and Look Titanium quill with Deda Spectrum Carbon bars (great weight weenie choices- but you need to be confident mixing materials). The latter is on my Tommasini Tecno EL OS. How it looks tends to be down to wheel and groupset choices and integrating them with these.

Re:

Thank for you reply, I am not so wedded to the Cinelli stuff and have been looking at 90's 3ttt gear, did have a look at the mutant stem, would have too see one in the flesh it looks a bit heavy.

I hear what your saying regarding Anatomicals have never really ridden any distance on them, I just want a bar that is designed for Ergos and definately in silver as I am using all early 9 speed Record Titanium pre carbon groupo.

The litespeed and Deda combo maybe a little late for me as I am trying to stay out of the noughties.

Hadn't thought about Look !

Thanks again.

Re:

Just to reassure you that ergos work on conventional (non anatomic) old school diameter drop bars (with/without cable recesses).

I think Litespeed (and Ibis & ITM Krystal Ti are other choices) were making Ti stems in the 90's, so would be period correct. Some complain that Ti can be flexy, but riding 100-110mm stems has given me no issues.

Regardless of these choices, you have a bike from one of the best bike builders! Enjoy.

Back