Super Record Rear Mech Rubbing!

rusty bodie

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I've had this problem before - can anyone help/ remind me how to solve it??

The top of the nearest jockey wheel cage rubs the second sprocket when the first sprocket is selected. If you rotate the rear mech clockwise by hand this stops, but of course the rear mech rests in this position against the hooked tag formed into the Campag dropout itself.

The lowest gear is a 24t with the second being a 22t and this is the one that the rear mech is fouling.

I'd considered filing the top area of the jockey cage down to a minimum but that seems a bit sacreligious!

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Craig

Pull the wheel back a couple of mm?

That'll pull the freewheel away from the mech and pull the chain slightly tighter, which will move the cage slightly round it's pivot. Giving you more clearance.

mattr":36ql2z4a said:

That'll pull the freewheel away from the mech and pull the chain slightly tighter, which will move the cage slightly round it's pivot. Giving you more clearance.

GAWD!! Could it really be as simple as THAT??! I never even thought of that idea!! :facepalm:

I'll pass it on to my pal - I built the bike for him from mostly NOS/ VGC parts recently, but this issue has been bugging him since!

Many thanks!!

Craig

Re:

. Is the chain on the big ring at the front?

In that photo? I doubt it. If it is, the chain is way too long.
I think the chain must be on the small ring in that photo.

I agree about pulling the wheel back, but I reckon if that fails, making the chain looser- putting two more links in it- might help to alleviate the problem, provided that the spring is still tensioning the chain when on small ring/small sprocket.

Re:

All my knowledge of rear mechs, bike bits in general, is with Shimano MTB stuff and lately Ultegra on my road bikes so no idea if Campag is different. With that said, it looks to me that the chain is over-wrapping on the cog, the top jockey wheel is too high. My experience is the chain angles down or is horizontal as it moves to top jockey wheel not up. Wouldn't tightening the B-tension screw not rotate the mech down and backwards therefore give the mech cage more clearance to cogs? Moving wheel backwards in dropouts may give more clearance but would it stop the over-wrapping of chain?
Just did a wee search online and most of pics of rear mechs/cassette/chain is same as my experience, chain angles down to top jockey wheel.

Pull the chain tighter and see if that swings the cage back and down a bit. Campag changed the cage over the years to get it to run from 22 to 26 in the end, maybe its an old NR cage on a younger SR body?

Re: Re:

old_coyote_pedaller":39bqoshr said:
Wouldn't tightening the B-tension screw not rotate the mech down and backwards therefore give the mech cage more clearance to cogs?
Don't think campag mechs of this vintage have b-tension adjustment. Just a fixed tab.

Back