Frame identification help needed Frame 1 of 2

allenh

rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
Hello all, I'm hoping the collective knowledge of the board can help me identify a couple of frames I've picked up recently? I want to restore and build them both and always prefer to badge them correctly if I can so any help would be appreciated.

This is the first of the two and has a few distinguishing features:

I'm sure I've seen that fork crown treatment somewhere before but can't place it.

It also has quite a distinctive lever clamp stop on the underside of the down tube.

And the rear stay cable stop looks like it's a separate piece that is either tapped into a boss or bonded in (I haven't tried moving it).

It has nice heart shaped cutout lugs and the ends and dropouts look Campag but have no marking on them and there is not numbering or markings I can see anywhere.

I weighs in at 3010g with the bottom bracket removes so just frame, forks and headset

Attachments

• frame 1-8.JPG
    frame 1-8.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 1,187
  • frame 1-7.JPG
    frame 1-7.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 1,187
  • frame 1-6.JPG
    frame 1-6.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 1,187
  • frame 1-5.JPG
    frame 1-5.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 1,187
  • frame 1-4.JPG
    frame 1-4.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 1,186
  • frame 1-3.JPG
    frame 1-3.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 1,187
  • frame 1-2.JPG
    frame 1-2.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 1,187
  • frame 1-1.JPG
    frame 1-1.JPG
    162.3 KB · Views: 1,187
And a couple more pictures

Attachments

• frame 1-10.JPG
    frame 1-10.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 1,185
  • frame 1-9.JPG
    frame 1-9.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 1,185
I'm bumping this one because, well it's still bugging me that I can't identify it and I'd still like some help with it.

The fork crown I thought quite distinctive and that I was sure I'd seen similar before and I had. I see quite a few Battaglins with very similar fork crowns although the majority that I've seen are pantographed. I doubt this is a Battaglin frame although it is quite nice.

I still don't know what this frame is but things like the fork crown and rear stay cable stop are quite distinctive so if anyone can shed some light on it please do.

Southcoast":wcgyzqtz said:
Looks like a hint of a number on the bb just to the right of the cable guide. Any numbers under the guide?
Yes that does look like the start of a number, I'll drag it out of the garage at the weekend, remove the cable guide and report back with what I find.

Are the forks original? They have no mudguard eyes. Fame reminds me of a Falcon Super Pro with the long seat stay caps.

I thought the forks might not be a match. What seatpin size is it and is it a British bottom bracket. The chainstay cable stop in novel.

Southcoast":1b8lkvon said:
Looks like a hint of a number on the bb just to the right of the cable guide. Any numbers under the guide?
I've had a look and sadly no number

Midlife":1b8lkvon said:
Are the forks original? They have no mudguard eyes. Fame reminds me of a Falcon Super Pro with the long seat stay caps.
No history I'm afraid so no way of knowing. And yes apart from the forks looking at it against my Falcon pro it does look very close, but there is no number on the BB and that braze or weld that's down the centre of the BB isn't right for a Tange Falcon.

I'll get my pro down at the weekend and compare the two in a bit more detail

sswinton":1b8lkvon said:
I thought the forks might not be a match. What seatpin size is it and is it a British bottom bracket. The chainstay cable stop in novel.
I'm not convinced that cable stop isn't a repair as I haven't seen that sort of thing before but that doesn't mean a lot. The seatpin is 27.2 and the BB thread is English, haven't checks the headset yet so I'll do that at the weekend.

CTK":1b8lkvon said:
I had a Cilo with a similar fork crown
Cilo? is that the Swiss Cilo? If so I've not looked at those so I'll do a bit of Googling thanks.

Re:

I'd guess that one has been 'updated'- two sets of bottle cage bosses don't often get seen with long Campag ends except on a tourer maybe?

What are the clearances like?

No one would've put that 'pip' on the down tube if the gear lever bosses were original. Probably a 70s frame that might've started out with few braze-ons, if any?

My '75 mystery frame once had a very plain-socketed (65mm) BB shell like that.

Back