Help ID this frame, Viscount 600 Ex 1981 Bike of The Year

Peuf

Dirt Disciple
Hello people !

Latest find, this Viscount 600 Ex frame, couldn't too much information about the bike. From what I vaguely understood there would have been several models 400, 600ex and 600ax which designated the equipment of the bike, apparently the 600ax was in aerospace tubes. Mine does not looks like it is. According to the stickers this bike would date from 1981.

The tubes are Viscount Chrome Molybdenum tubing, bare frame weight 2120g, fork 530g making a total of 2650g for the whole. No marking except for EX111 on the rear dropout.

I like the engraving on the fork and the bottom bracket.

If anyone has information on the frame I am very interested, not sure what to do with this frame yet !

It’s not an Aerospace but it’s also not one of the very basic frames they made later. The lugwork says it’s a nicer frame, as does the slotted bottom bracket shell and that slim fork crown. The fork is lighter than a Reynolds 501 fork (650g-ish) though overall weight is about right for a reasonable quality steel frame. My basic Viscount was a really nice ride. As you’ve found, there isn’t a lot of information on the non Aerospace models! What size seatpost?

Are you planning to keep it?

Sorry can't help any with any more info on it apart from that it uses the same tubing as my Falcon professional which is a lovely riding frame.

I bought another of this guys frames from his ebay listings which I've got to try and ID as well. I did like the look of this one but couldn't carry two back on the train.

allenh":1uts4n9k said:
Sorry can't help any with any more info on it apart from that it uses the same tubing as my Falcon professional which is a lovely riding frame.

I bought another of this guys frames from his ebay listings which I've got to try and ID as well. I did like the look of this one but couldn't carry two back on the train.

Nice do you have any idea where the tubing quality would sit in the Reynolds scale ? I would think Reynolds 501 or maybe 531 ? The sticker doesn't give much information about the making.

Jonny69":1uts4n9k said:
It’s not an Aerospace but it’s also not one of the very basic frames they made later. The lugwork says it’s a nicer frame, as does the slotted bottom bracket shell and that slim fork crown. The fork is lighter than a Reynolds 501 fork (650g-ish) though overall weight is about right for a reasonable quality steel frame. My basic Viscount was a really nice ride. As you’ve found, there isn’t a lot of information on the non Aerospace models! What size seatpost?

Are you planning to keep it?

Thanks for your reply ! Yes i am gonna keep this one it's my size and i like it :)
As I just said above do you have any idea where this tubing would sit in the Reynolds family ?
I'll check the seatpost size soon.

I really want to know what the engraving on the fork represent, it could be a space shuttle ? (would make sense to link that to the aerospace ?)

Peuf":8sa8636z said:
Nice do you have any idea where the tubing quality would sit in the Reynolds scale ? I would think Reynolds 501 or maybe 531 ? The sticker doesn't give much information about the making.
Not sure, Looking at the weights you give I don't think it is exactly the same tubing as my Falcon as that's lighter but it's in the same family as the decals are very similar. I did think they were the same but have looked at mine again again and apart from the Viscount branding its not quite the same colours.

As far as mine goes it's definitely better than 501 and I feel a touch lighter than standard butted 531 but to me feels nicer to ride so personally I'd put it a little higher up the 531 food chain.

Panto on the forks by the way is bike with wings if its not clear on the decal.

viscount_logo_1.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if Mike Kowal / Autostrada was involved in the making of these frames, all we knew back then was that they had been contracted out. Has a chain hanger plus neat shore lines so not a shabby frame. They sometimes has panto seat stays so made in batches to order probably.

Keep it if you can as pretty rare....

Midlife":1bif1tgf said:
I wouldn't be surprised if Mike Kowal / Autostrada was involved in the making of these frames, all we knew back then was that they had been contracted out. Has a chain hanger plus neat shore lines so not a shabby frame. They sometimes has panto seat stays so made in batches to order probably.

Keep it if you can as pretty rare....

Just read about that guy, quite impressive story !
That may be possible, who knows :) I do like the frame a lot so it's gonna be a proper restauration for this one !

There is this guy on facebook that had a similar bike than mine, to quote him:
Wow, I've not seen another one like mine, all the other 600ex are different.

Back