Weights of your Steel bikes ?

widowmaker

Gold Trader
Roberts Fan
Feedback
View
Just wondering what weights (approx) peoples steel 531 builds are.

I have a Raleigh 531 Frame and forks that was available as a frame/forks only rather than a full bike, i am building it up as a training bike, with Mavic wheels/miche hubs, shimano RX100 groupset, Ultegra brakes, DT shifters, Cinelli bars and stem.

I was hoping to get it under 12kgs, preferably nearer 11kgs. I know weight isnt everything but it needs to be pretty light to just 'keep up'.

22-23 Lbs in old currency for lightweight off the shelf like that back in the late 70's to early 80's. Assuming you don't have a huge frame lol

Re:

A large frame it is :)

As long as i can build it so its comparable than a modern cheapish Alluminium Hybrid, otherwise i might be tempted just to get something new :oops:

According to the brochures a 23.5" Gran Sport 12 was 23.25 lbs ..... Trying to think how much my stripped Jackson TT weighed. 19-20 lbs maybe?

I'm in Dorset on holiday and it's been piddling down for 2 days....is it always like this lol

Midlife":1gp847da said:
I'm in Dorset on holiday and it's been piddling down for 2 days....is it always like this lol

Yes.

The whole UK has been baked rock hard in non stop sunshine for months on end, but not Dorset, it never stops raining there.... and Manchester of course.

Re:

Lightest steel bike I had was an off the peg Raleigh frame 531c/653 mix with a 6400 tricolour groupset @ 20lbs. Heaviest proper race bike was an slx Argentin copy Bianchi (frame all nickel plated under the paint) and delta/c-record kit @ 25lbs

Just been to Corfe castle, at £11.50 per adult entrance we went for a walk in the rain instead lol

Maybe Raleigh scales were measuring under :)

Midlife":6z75vn4l said:
Just been to Corfe castle, at £11.50 per adult entrance we went for a walk in the rain instead lol

Maybe Raleigh scales were measuring under :)

Blimey, didn't realise it was that expensive :shock:

I drive through there everyday in the Summer - bloody holiday makers :p

Back