Advice on my low gears for my Retro 531 build.

widowmaker

Gold Trader
Roberts Fan
Feedback
View
Hi all,

I am building a Raleigh 531 Lightweight Framed bike to tackle the serious hills around the Purbecks so need as low a gear as possible

I have a 13-28 screw on freewheel so cannot improve on the rear (at least without changing the wheel)

I have a RX100 clamp on front mech which as far as I can make out from internet searching has a max ring difference of 14T. I have a 52/36 crank which has a difference of 16T.

Before I build it, does anyone know if its likely to work or is there any leeway in the Shimano recommendations ?

If not is there any way round this ? Is it possible to fit a MTB front deralliuer which can take a greater max teeth ?

What’s wrong with a 14-34 freewheel....just need a rear mech with long cage

greencat":286gaz7m said:
widowmaker":286gaz7m said:
Nob":286gaz7m said:
What’s wrong with a 14-34 freewheel....just need a rear mech with long cage

I didn't think you could get screw on freewheels with 34 teeth ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MEGA-RANGE-SPE ... B01IR8UUCO

Personally, I might consider a triple chainset upfront. There is no shame in wanting to preserve your knees .

I had looked on SPa cycles and SJS and could not see them :oops:

The idea is to build a training bike on a smallish budget with bits I have already got, I have a nice RX100 set up that's in very good condition. The crank is a 52/36 and the new screw on freewheel I just bought is a 13-28. The gearing should be ok, just wanted options in case my old knees suffered.

Any recommendations for a rear mech with long cage of similar look/period of the RX100 ? Or would a MTB one be easier as I have a few kicking around.

I run a 14-34 rear with a 48/38/28 Stronglight triple on one of my builds - it can tackle any hill.

Spokesmann":2a2iewr1 said:
I run a 14-34 rear with a 48/38/28 Stronglight triple on one of my builds - it can tackle any hill.

What rear mech do you use, are you running a cassette for freewheel ?

Back