Rebuilding a Basso. Advice needed on shifters and gears.

crossley

Dirt Disciple
I have bought an old 80's (ideas?) Basso frame and am building it up for my girlfriend to ride. I do not have any of the components for it yet but before i start spending my money, i have a few silly questions:

basso1.jpg
[/img]
basso3.jpg
[/img]

I'd like to run downtube shifters if possible but can i run them with new rear and front mechs? Or am i just best to stick to new type shifters?

What type of sprockets will fit in the rear wheels? Can i choose between 5-9 or so gears or am i limited by the width of the dropouts?

Thanks for any help anyone can give and for any other advice you have. (the girlfriend is already busy deciding what colour to respray).

Regards[/img]

Am making an educated guess but this looks like mid-late 80s.

Dropout width is going to be an issue, but maybe not a big one.

Measure the distance between rear dropouts and get back to us.

Shimano make downtube shifters all the way up to ten speed. 6 or 7 might be harder to find but eBay (or the wanted section here) should turn some up.

hi, nice frameset, You'll be pleased to know you will have no problems with your plans for the bike. The rear spacing can easily be springed out to 130mm (8 and 9 speed) without the need for cold setting. Down tube shifters are easily available and will index with modern deraillers. To keep things simple only use the same brands but if you go friction you can safely use anything! Good luck and keep us posted

yup...easy.

that's gonna be 126mm rear spacing (6-7 speed), which will easily spread to 130mm (8-10 speed) just by lightly pulling the rear triangle open when inserting the wheel...just 2mm per side after all.

basso made great stuff...should ride like a dream. shame to bastardize it with japanese dreck however...find yourself some lower end campy and do it right!

(i've got a like-new athena rear mech to get you started...needs a hangar bolt though. and some NOS cinelli 40cm bars).

Yes, i'd like Campag parts if i can get hold of them - this may take longer than i thought...

Thanks for all your help, its much appreciated. I'll put some pictures up when i've finished.

Cross

Does Campag make downtube shifters anymore? I think youll have to go with Ergo brifters instead, unless old fashioned friction DT shifters will work with a 9 speed block? Personally I wouldnt bother with friction.

gearing

If you space the rear out and want to fit 9 or 10sp then the indexed bar-end levers can be fitted as downtube levers. You can get the 10sp ones new but the 9sp might need to be secondhand or NOS. At a price!

re

I've completely rebuilt the bike with a respray too.

Sad to say for you purists though i was finding it really hard to source nos campag parts so have gone for spanking new full campag groupo and wheels. Ergo shifters not downtube shifters and spaced out the rear end to fit 10 speed.

Looks awesome but will probably not be to everones taste!

Back