Bike Brands to invest in

Re:

The link is nothing new, and the makes...what is this with brands ? There are many British builders worth buying, whether they are investments is another question - define investment ?

Example, say I bought a top class frame in 1985 (I did actually) and it cost £500.00, in today's money that's £1440.00 and I doubt I'd get that for it - despite it's"collectability".

There are many builders largely ignored in places like this forum, as many here are motivated by nostalgia -no problem with that but an old gas pipe bike is as costly to restore as a frame from a classy builder.

Rk.

I don't think many will get rich investing in old steel bikes. It all went mad two or three years ago and prices rose but there is definitely a ceiling. There are loads of bikes listed for really strong money, but few seem to sell. I have a clutch of Brian Rourke frames from the 80's because they are local to me and I had several over the years growing up. All are well made and have the classic shot in and wrap over seat stay and I love restoring them. However, if I sell one, I usually lose money ;-). I suppose I like the feeling of saving them and that they ride again.

Re:

No surprises on that list, those have always been the brands (Italian and Dutch). Think Sports cars Italian and German carry more kudos than British....

legrandefromage":2njl5osd said:
I can hear extra zeros being typed on ebay ads as we speak

Ker-Ching!!!! :D :LOL:

With most retro stuff you're unlikely to lose a fortune if you sell it on at a later date, but you're not likely to be able to retire on your "investment" either.

(I hate it when bikes are referred to as an "investment" or a "collection"... they're bikes, just ride the bloody things! :LOL: )

Re:

There's a guy from Derbyshire that restores Holdsworth professionals and polishes the life out of the parts - lists them on eBay for £2-3000 and they never sell.

Re:

The only monetary value of anything is "What another person is prepared to pay".
if you are the owner it is totally different value.
ie the joy of restoring and rebuilding,riding,owning.

"Nostalgia is not what it not what it used to be",but it will be soon.

Re: Re:

kermitgreenkona88":1si9a5bz said:
No surprises on that list, those have always been the brands (Italian and Dutch). Think Sports cars Italian and German carry more kudos than British....

On that advice I'd best sell my AM DB5 and buy a lovely BMW Z3.

rK.

Re: Re:

roadking":2r40irwp said:
kermitgreenkona88":2r40irwp said:

On that advice I'd best sell my AM DB5 and buy a lovely BMW Z3.

rK.

Yes if you want to, but you would be stupid, if you sold your AM DB5 and Bought Ferrari 250 GT California Spyder that would be fine.

Back