Any chance of saving my rear mech?

gvsykes

Dirt Disciple
Hi all,

I have just finished restoring a bike and the final piece to fit was the rear mech. It's a Campagnolo Nuovo Record so is fairly old.

However, the pivot points on the parallelogram are incredibly stiff and it's a struggle to even move it by hand.

I have dismantled as much as I could and restored it but obviously cannot remove the pivots that allow the parallelogram to swivel. My LBS soaked it in penetrating oil overnight to try and lubricate but this had no affect.

Hoping someone out there can help me out and point me towards a method to loosen these pivots somehow. If not it looks like I will have to be shelling out for a new rear mech.

Kind regards!

Re:

The pivot bushes are listed as 82A, the earlier ones in the GS were bronze. Could be that you have corrosion between the alloy arms and rivets and the bush which may be bronze.

With the GS gear it was easy to tap out the rivets, but if corroded alloy might be better to drill out. Not difficult to find material for the rivets.

Then tap the bushes out of the arms.

This should keep you occupied for a few days.

Keith

I turned some new 'rivets' from an old aluminium bottle cage but I made 2 shorter ones and fitted them from each side as 'persuading' a long one through the hole was, for some reason, not easy. I also have nagging suspicion that the hole was lined with brass tube or something simuilar? For the limited usage that my NR mechs get the repair has been fine.

Back