Re chain for DA 7401 8 speed hyerglide cassette

surfguy13

Dirt Disciple
Hi everyone

I have a road bike with mostly Dura Ace 7400 parts including an 8 speed hyperglide cassette (11-23). I need to buy a new chain and understand that there can be compatibility issues with the old DA bits. Can anyone give me any advice as to what chain I should go with?

Many thanks

Guy

any good quality 8 or 9spd chain will be fine

the compatibility issues are to do with mixing mechs and shifters, not chains

legrandefromage":5831rauq said:
any good quality 8 or 9spd chain will be fine

the compatibility issues are to do with mixing mechs and shifters, not chains

Many thanks for that! I had read (somewhere) that some of the narrow chains were not compatible but wasn't sure if that was correct or not.

Is there any major difference in quality? I noticed that standard shimano 7/8/9 speed chains were relatively cheap...such as the HG71 at about a tenner. Will these work as well as anything? I assume it's not worth chucking more money at it?

Taya make some nice chains.

Quality can depend on the bevelling of the plates too, some makes are nicer to use over the original Shimano and seem to last longer.

I've been using standard 9spd shimano simply because I have access to a lot of them

legrandefromage":365d24j3 said:
Taya make some nice chains.

Quality can depend on the bevelling of the plates too, some makes are nicer to use over the original Shimano and seem to last longer.

I've been using standard 9spd shimano simply because I have access to a lot of them

Really interesting. I will check out Taya as I haven't heard of them before. Thanks again for the advice! :)

Midlife":1wm91ceq said:
I think the older Uniglide system needed a specific Uniglide chain..

I think this was mentioned in the article I read but can't remember where I read it!!!! I did a search for Uniglide chains but came up a blank so must assume that alternative options do work with the old 8 speed blocks. Hope so anyway!

Midlife":zpr7e14m said:

Looking at uniglide chains, they look normal pitch and everything.

I have a few uniglide cassettes and have been using standard chains without issue.

I have noticed that very old freewheels such as Sachs Maillard dont quite like newer chains

legrandefromage":2bkpsz1q said:
Midlife":2bkpsz1q said:

Looking at uniglide chains, they look normal pitch and everything.

I have a few uniglide cassettes and have been using standard chains without issue.

I have noticed that very old freewheels such as Sachs Maillard dont quite like newer chains

That's really encouraging, thank you!

I have been trying to find Taya chains here in the UK but no luck so far. Couple of options from German websites:

https://www.internet-bikes.com/en/8232- ... 116-links/

https://www.bike-mailorder.com/taya-cha ... -speed-ul#

I know that the 2nd link is in German but would either/both of these options be worth considering?

Back