Raleigh Lenton bottom bracket

skylark

Dirt Disciple
Another bottom bracket one I'm afraid...

Please excuse me if this has been covered before, I am new so I will blame it on that!

Feel free to skip this bit of background...

I recently acquired a Lenton frame (1950/51... probably 1951 based on the date on the SA hub) from eBay for a decent enough price. The bike was in bits but the tyres and tubes were new so I assume that it was a stalled restoration: the woman I bought it off acquired it through a general sale so I guess it came from a house clearance etc.

Anyway, it went back together no problem despite a slight wobble on the chain ring which I straightened out without issue. During the first ride though and rather embarrassingly the drive pedal fell off, luckily at low speed so fairly funny... in a way. Probably then the chain ring wobble was due to a cracked a deformed spindle, which I did check for straightness but clearly not well enough.

There had clearly been a failure of the spindle itself, probably not helped by the cotter pins being disturbed.

Under a magnifying glass though it was clear that there had been a long standing crack in the spindle as at least half of thickness was corroded. A classic case of fatigue it would seem starting at the sharp edge left by Raleigh on the cotter pin flats during manufacturing.

So here is the problem...

I clearly need a new spindle but cannot find one for! The Lentons of this era used a shorter than standard spindle it would seem (A-16 G rather than the more common A-16 GC) totalling about 125mm or 5" end to end. The spindles I've seen for sale, both second hand or pattern parts are all at least 10 mm longer, which I reckon will position the chain ring far to the right of where it needs to be.

Does anyone know where I might acquire a replacement A-16 G (not a GC) axle for a Lenton? Is there a bloke in a shed somewhere stockpiling these things or do i need to keep checking eBay and and hoping?

Any / all help greatfully received!

That's not a great start to your Lenton ownership! By the way you're right, the Lenton bottom bracket (A-16 C) is shorter/neater than the standard Raleigh bottom bracket of the period.
Have you managed to source the correct item?
If not I've probably got one in the shed somewhere, along with the original ball-bearings and cups as well. I broke up a 1952 Lenton some years ago, and still have some of the bits left!
Let me know and I can send you some pics.
Cheers Neil.

Re:

Amazing Neil, what an offer! I'd appreciate you having a rummage and digging out the axle. I've had no luck finding a replacement spindle and was resigned to phoning around long-standing bike shops in the morning on the off chance.

I've checked by (broken) spindle (from my 1951 Lenton) and it's got A-16 G stamped onto it but I suppose the axle from a 1952 machine would be the same? One can hope!

Cheers, Jack

Re:

That looks lovely! If you're willing to sell it (and the cup and the locking ring... why not keep them as a set I say...) then I'm willing to buy it :)

I'll PM/DM you about the details etc etc.

Cheers, Jack

Back