Raleigh team Banana 18/23

Ben.jubei

Dirt Disciple
Well my Raleigh Banana made it through London to Brighton without any failures. I have managed to dimple the headset cup though ( before L to B) now it’s got a little worse.

What size is the headset and any recommendations. Its rideable but annoying

Cheers

I assume were talking about an early 90's replica Banana? If so then it's a 1" threaded headset but the rub is Raleigh tended to use their own thread size of 1"x26tpi where the standard thread was 1"x24tpi.

With any luck you can just buy a cheap steel 1"x24tpi headset and use the cups with your threaded parts.

Re:

It’s stamped for 1989. Internal rear break cable routing. I was intending on just using the cups and replace bearings

Re: Re:

cromoman":2qc7o6ot said:
Lots of banana action recently, including this thread about headsets:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=384465

Lots of info there and @Midlife did say he thought Raleigh had dropped the 26tpi headsets by then. I'm not sure of that and thought they could be found most of the way through the 90's on various bike types so with your Banana being a standard Raleigh frame it's something that needs to be considered, but if you can retain the threaded parts and just replace the cups and bearings it hopefully shouldn't matter.

Re:

Cheers. Nice to see Banana bikes being restored! Just done the London to Brighton on mine. Great bike and sticks it to the modern machinery

Re:

Fair old trek that Ben :)

Pleased to hear the banana holds its own out there. Any pics of yours ?

Re:

On the way to this years London to Brighton. So full kit onboard

Attachments

• DE9305D8-9475-479B-A280-CE9FC509B870.jpeg
    DE9305D8-9475-479B-A280-CE9FC509B870.jpeg
    165.4 KB · Views: 457
Re:

Another, it’s not the lightest but I enjoy riding it. Gone through a winter on it and made sure everything was serviced, cleaned and fettled on an OCD level.

Attachments

• FBC5EFEA-3E78-473A-9A1A-5B98D4FAD172.jpeg
    FBC5EFEA-3E78-473A-9A1A-5B98D4FAD172.jpeg
    135.1 KB · Views: 457
Back