What model is my Holdsworth?

allenh

rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
Afternoon all

I bought this Holdsworth off of ebay a while back mostly as a parts bike but I'm getting ready to refurb the frame and thus far haven't been able to identify the exact age or model of this one so if anyone knows what it is please can you put me out of my misery.

These are the pics from the auction and the frame is now stripped so I can take some more photo's before I start rubbing it down if needed.

I have no history on the bike so don't know if any of the parts are original but as an aide to date it has a riveted on aluminium flat head badge rather than a cast one or a sticker.

Attachments

• holds 4.jpg
    holds 4.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 649
  • holds 5.jpg
    holds 5.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 646
  • holds 3.jpg
    holds 3.jpg
    301.2 KB · Views: 646
  • holds 2.jpg
    holds 2.jpg
    366.8 KB · Views: 649
  • holds 1.jpg
    holds 1.jpg
    416.2 KB · Views: 649
Re:

Looks like a Holdsworthy from mid to late 60s. There is a Holdsworth frame number database on here which has been carefully constructed from owners data.
Holdsworthy sold complete bikes and frames.

Keith

Thanks Keith

Of course the database, I'll have a look for the frame number. The colouring is quite distinctive and with the aluminium head badge I did think it would be easier to identify but the numbers should help.

I must admit I thought it quite a bit later than that though. I've also go a Claude Butler Majestic from when Holdsworth owned the name and the two frames apart from angles and clearances look Identical. the Majestic I would guess at being 1982 or 1983

Re:

Looks to me like it could have started out as a Claud Butler Cassino.
http://www.nkilgariff.com/
A later one from just before the CB range became 'touring specific'- maybe 1980-1.
I'd venture to guess it doesn't take a 27.2mm seatpost.

Does it have Campag. 'sport' ends- i.e. flat plate not 1010?

Re:

Colour not that unusual, featured in mid 1970s catalogue - and the same colour as my Mistral. However, the dropouts are the giveaway, they don't look like Campagnolo from what I can see.

I imagine 531 maintubes and forks only ?

Rk.

Re: Re:

torqueless":1e8eda2k said:
Looks to me like it could have started out as a Claud Butler Cassino.
http://www.nkilgariff.com/
A later one from just before the CB range became 'touring specific'- maybe 1980-1.
I'd venture to guess it doesn't take a 27.2mm seatpost.

Does it have Campag. 'sport' ends- i.e. flat plate not 1010?

I'm pretty certain it's original Holdsworth and the paint is certainly original unless it was bare metalled before being re painted.

The seat pin is 27.2 and yes it does have the flat Campag ends, they are stamped campag.

I'll get it out of the garage tonight and have a look at the frame number to compare it to the database.

roadking":1mr5v77x said:
Colour not that unusual, featured in mid 1970s catalogue - and the same colour as my Mistral. However, the dropouts are the giveaway, they don't look like Campagnolo from what I can see.

Rk.

Ok, all the green Holdsworths I've seen have been metallic so I shall do a bit more catalogue digging. I did think Mistral when I got it but although the ends are Campag that are not what I expected. And it does take a 27.2 seatpin so I suspect it's a bit better than just main frame tubes but can't be sure of that

allenh":210jmifo said:
roadking":210jmifo said:

Rk.

Ok, all the green Holdsworths I've seen have been metallic so I shall do a bit more catalogue digging. I did think Mistral when I got it but although the ends are Campag that are not what I expected. And it does take a 27.2 seatpin so I suspect it's a bit better than just main frame tubes but can't be sure of that

It's not a Mistral, a 27.2 post doesn't always mean a full tubeset...what does the Reynolds sticker say ? Often if a full tubeset the fork sticker is omitted.

Although when people restore you often experience sticker shock !!!

Rk.

roadking":spt5ffki said:
allenh":spt5ffki said:
roadking":spt5ffki said:

Rk.

It's not a Mistral, a 27.2 post doesn't always mean a full tubeset...what does the Reynolds sticker say ? Often if a full tubeset the fork sticker is omitted.

Although when people restore you often experience sticker shock !!!

Rk.

I'll have a look at the sticker when I look at the frame number later and report back.

When I first saw it on ebay I thought Mistral until I looked at a few catalogues and had a better look at it and then thought no definitely not but it was bought more for parts so wasn't that worried what it was until I decided to re paint it.

27.2 does usually mean double butted though doesn't it and I thought if it was then that was more likely to be more than just the main tubes, but yes I know it could mean nothing at all.

Re:

That style of downtube decal wasn't around before about '77 afaik.
Bottle cage bosses and top tube brake cable guides in this context says '80s to me.
Also, I'd expect a frame near the top of the range to be more artfully finished around the seatpost entry.

I'd think it most unusual for a frame with 'sport' ends to take a 27.2 post. Also most unusual for it to be carrying a Super Record mech!

I think this is either an older frame that's been refinished (in the '80s?)and had some braze-ons added, or it's an early '80s frame that's been refinished (some time ago) in a somewhat 'retro' style.

Back