Banana - Brake Upgrade. Installed OK?

ThePowster

Old School Hero
Evening chaps.

Right... whole new learning curve for me today.

So my Tiagra groupset came today (minus the chain, they forgot to include it) and I have been busy trying to work things out.

Firstly the brakes have these chrome sleeve that goes on the threaded end to secure instead of a traditional nut, those who have tried this will know that the threaded sleeve to secure these new calipers will not go through the hole in the frame or the forks :shock:

So before I got the drill out I had a gander on the net for info, turns out some people put the front caliper on the rear with a nut and the rear caliper on the front and secure through the inside of the fork, very cool idea :cool:

Anyway I have gave this a go, not sure what I am doing so I just wanted someone to look over this and see if it looks alright?

I am a bit worried about the washer and spring washer and nut combo I am using as I took this from the original set of brakes.

Am I good to go with this do you think?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 630
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 630
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 630
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 630
Drill the crown, use two front brakes.

That front brake risks the crown cracking and pulling the brake it when you least expect it.
Get some better washers and a nyloc for the back.

I didn't want to start drilling the frame and forks and I have already bought the chainset and cannot return single items so I am stuck with what I have.

I wonder if you can get a replacement long thread bar like the rear caliper has and then put a nut on the outside of each, that would be better than me getting the drill out, you should see my drilling lol.

Yeah I will look at getting a better nut for the rear brake, but not sure if I need one of those conical washers or use what I have or what.

Re:

You have the U shaped washer on the wrong way round.

The curved portion is supposed to be against the outer diameter of the tube giving the flat surface for the spring washer and nut to act upon.

Re: Re:

NeilM":fmg9slma said:
You have the U shaped washer on the wrong way round.

The curved portion is supposed to be against the outer diameter of the tube giving the flat surface for the spring washer and nut to act upon.

See... Now I'm glad I asked :LOL: :oops:

Thanks for spotting that NeilM i'll get right on it :cool:

You only need to drill the back of the fork and get a longer sleeve nut so that it reaches. They are easily available for carbon bikes with oversized forks. You may be able to do the same with the rear but will need a right angled drill attachment even then you may not have room.

Ray

I'm not sorry in saying thats possibly the worst cobbled together bits I've ever seen!

Unfortunately what takes about 30 seconds of spannering takes about 3000 words of explanation.

Heres how those concave washers work for the rear brake:

clip002.jpg

Dont be afraid of drilling but if you are, theres nutted brakes available, you'll have to check the drop

https://www.velovitality.co.uk/products ... tted-brake

Attachments

• rear brake.jpg
    rear brake.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 577
Re:

If you do buy another pair of brake calipers...i.e. nutted calipers...check your drop length before you spend.

Sand_Dune

Back