Replacing Weinmann X-type pad inserts? Anyone done this?

trail-blazer

Retro Guru
Got some 80s Weinmann canti brakes on a tourer but I can't find replacement pads anywhere. Standard unthreaded canti pads don't fit, their pegs are thinner. (at least the ones I bought were)

35mm X-type pads are easy to find, though, so I'm thinking of pushing the insert out of the open end of it's holder and pushing a new one in. I would imagine they are quite a tight fit so the holder might need "opening up" a little to simplify things.

Anyone done this with Weinmann blocks before? Seems pretty straightforward, in principle. :?

Re:

Yeah, they are a tight fit.

I once knocked the pads out of some Modolo shoes and replaced them with some generic Fibrax ones, (which also have an 'x' tread) Best done in a vice.

As I remember, I had to do a bit of scalpel work on the 'wedge' part of the Fibrax to get them in the shoes. That was my preferred option, as opposed to attempting to re-shape the metal shoes to accept the pads. ymmv.

If you cut a tiny lead on the front edge that enters the shoe & a small wipe of dish soap on the taper wedge push in with a bench vise

Back