120mm rear dropout spacing

Ben.jubei

Dirt Disciple
Hi

I have a Raleigh Team Banana. It’s not the 531c but it’s mint and all original. Even the chain! I’ve been using it for 9-10 months. It has 120mm rear dropout spacing. What are my options for wheels. I hate QR as I don’t trust it but I’d like deep v or modern light weight wheels. I run s 25c front and 28c rear. Any help would be good

Cheers

120mm nowadays is only for track or singlespeed / fixed wheels. There is no space for modern wide cassettes on them...which was why the industry went to 130mm. If you want modern gears you have to re-space to 130mm. See another recent Banana thread on exactly that.

You’ll be limited to 5-speed with 120mm but it’s easy enough to squeeze in a 126mm wheel which will let you use 6-7 speeds. Most SS/FG wheels are 120mm. Warning though, deep Vs are not light weight!

Re:

I have a 6 speed freewheel on at the moment. 12 speed total. Running as much original parts as I can and using it in the London to Brighton

That will be a 'compact 6' which fitted into the space of a 5 but has the 5.0mm sprocket spacing of 7 speed.

Back