Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamiedyer

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
RBotM June 2018 - Theme - 1940 to 1959

That's right, we are back to theme month and thanks for the suggestions that have been given, all good and some great ideas to carry us well forward. Much appreciated all.
This theme of years will be followed up in the next couple of theme months with other linear time frames so everyone will get a chance.

This month though is all about the years between 1940 and 1959. This covers a very broad spectrum of our cycling past so should uncover some really lovely hidden gems as well as some that we see regularly but could do with seeing more of.
So dig out those sheds, lofts or get round and borrow your dad or grandads bike for the weekend and get a couple of photos. **

Usual rules apply, 1 entry per member, 2 photos, a brief description and if you have a build thread in readers rides etc, then a link to that. If you don't then this might be a good opportunity to start one. They are great for sharing your builds and rides.

Where we're going Marty, we don't need carbon..........................

Jamie

** - to clarify, rules state you should own the bike or have the owners permission to enter, bike also to be owned by a retrobike member. So basically no digging photos off the net as they will be excluded and are not in the spirit of the competition. I am sure if your dad or grandad owns it then in theory for this purpose it could be your inheritance ;)

Ooh oooh ooh <waves hand> I'll put my 1952 Hill Special here when I get home

Here you go,

Bars and stem are original

Here's how it came to me after sitting in a damp shed for some 30 years

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=364026

file.php

Attachments

• over the Hill.jpg
    over the Hill.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 8,567
Reserving the top post Big Cheese, that's a cunning move not seen before :) :)

Look forward to seeing it.

I'm off for a ride so I expect to see this page full by the time I get back. ;)

Jamie

Shall I make up the numbers again, for a third month.

THM's 1953 Armstrong Moth.

From 40 year Barn find to rider - resto in sig. That's it. No more road bikes at the inn.

My father in law bought the frame new, rode it for a few years than put it in a damp shed. He gave it to me as a project. All detailed in signature including the reunion. :)

Attachments

• ARmstrong2.jpg
    ARmstrong2.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 8,882
  • ARmstrong1.jpg
    ARmstrong1.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 8,882
THM That Armstrong is beautiful!
There is no way any of your bikes entered can ever be said to be just 'making up numbers'.

Peachy, you still have 28 and a half days to go...…………………...clock starts...…………...now :)
Besides, this was your idea :) And that still gives you a week to build :)

Also for everyone to remember that any machine that hasn't won a RBotM can be entered as often as you like. The the exception being a themed month which you can enter if eligible.

Jamie

Oh I'm on it...don't you worry! :D Might be last to the dance though.....

If anyone is looking out for my Jubilee, I haven’t given up with the task of completing it before the end of the month, but it has been removed by a Mod as it was deemed a little too much like a build thread....

My apologies to anyone I may have upset or annoyed, I can assure you that wasn’t my intention.

Anybody who wants to see how I'm getting on can click on '54 Jubilee Special in my signature below. :p

*UPDATE*

Finally, she's finished, and just in time. Thanks to all who have helped with comments and advice, PM's and the odd batch of mild banter, all very much appreciated.
Chris

1954 Claud Butler Jubilee Special 4 speed

Specification, from the ground up;
Tyres – Schwalbe-Lugano-T-Active K-guard Tubulars
Adhesive tape – Mariposa Carogna
Rims – Fiamme Sprint
Spokes – Sapim, Stainless Steel, Double Butted
Front Hub – 32h small flange Constrictor
Rear Hub – 40h, 1958 4 speed FW Sturmey Archer
Bottom Bracket - Bayliss Wiley cups & cotter pin axle
Chain – Micha Pista silver track 1/8th
Crank set – Williams 52t
Pedals – Brampton B8
Straps – Christophe Brown leather
Brakes - GB Sport Mk3
Brake blocks – NOS Weinmann black ‘X’ pattern
Head set – Brampton Continental
Stem – GB Forged Hiduminium spearpoint
Bars – Dawes Concorde Pista engraved
Bar tape – Brooks brown microfibre – cork/wood end plugs
Brake levers - GB Standard
Gear lever – Sturmey Archer 4 speed (Bottom-Low-Normal-High)
Brake cables – Dia Compe. Brown outer
Gear cable – Oxford cable with SA anchorage
Seat post – Sturmey Archer 26.42mm Chromed Steel
Saddle – Brooks, Swallow - Brown leather

Attachments

• 1955 Claud Butler Jubilee Special SA4Speed.jpeg
    1955 Claud Butler Jubilee Special SA4Speed.jpeg
    192.2 KB · Views: 8,260
  • 1955 Claud Butler Jubilee Special (17) - Copy.jpeg
    1955 Claud Butler Jubilee Special (17) - Copy.jpeg
    280.8 KB · Views: 8,260
Re:

Good theme. Looking forward to these.

Last months was nice with a selection of mainly 70's and 80's bikes....but now it's hardcore.

One thing to remember Dr Winston is that you need 30 posts before being eligible to vote.
This was discussed just recently as I thought it was actually 10. So if you have trouble as it says you have 6 posts so far, that could be the reason.
Also, welcome aboard and thanks for getting involved. Enjoy!

Jamie

Jamiedyer":24hmavrz said:
One thing to remember Dr Winston is that you need 30 posts before being eligible to vote.
This was discussed just recently as I thought it was actually 10. So if you have trouble as it says you have 6 posts so far, that could be the reason.

Jamie

Welcome to such a emeritus esteemed member.

Attachments

• lordy lord W.jpg
    lordy lord W.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 8,839
The History Man":373pa8fy said:
Jamiedyer":373pa8fy said:

Jamie

Welcome to such a emeritus esteemed member.

Now then THM, are you a Child of our Time, or are you Walking/riding with Cavemen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back