The History Man

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Overbury's Fan
Feedback
View
Trying to help out a friend on the quiet with getting hold of at least a picture of his bike. It would be around 1980 so could be a 70s model?

".........when I was about 14, I'd saved up my paper round money and bought a second hand Raleigh 12 speed racer. It was green and had drop handlebars and dual break levers. I rode it everywhere and loved it for years.Not sure. I've been trying g to find a picture of one on't tinternet, but can't do d one exactly like mine. Of course there's every chance that my memory of it is glorified. I might see if my parents have a photo.........

............It may have been a Raleigh Pursuit. It definitely had a leather racing saddle and the dual break levers I've already mentioned. Green with white trim, if memory does serve me well. Ah, it takes me back to summer evenings, cycling home, hot and sticky, after seeing my girlfriend.......

............I'm now wondering if it may have been 10 speed. Ryan S has a 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix on http://www.oldtenspeedgallery.com which is not exactly as I remember, bit very similar........"

I've had a look but can't find anything that fits with the suicide levers. All help greatly appreciated.

Thanks THM

Green..hmm, Raleigh usually used green for its roadsters. Green was more of a Carlton or export colour for its "racers". I'll have a think :)

Green was an unlucky colour when I was growing up in Hull so never sold many green bikes, I think that was a maritime / sailor superstition though......

Re:

Sounds like a Raleigh Rapide which was mainly green. The Raleigh Olympus pictured in one of my catalogues was also green.
I will scan and post pictures.

The Rapide 12 was fern green, no dual levers though ........... Before that the Rapide was in the usual red and black team livery.

Back