Raleigh Banana - Headset Options

ThePowster

Old School Hero
Hey guys.

OK so I am about ready to start to build this banana now it's had a fresh lick of paint, so now the first thing I want to buy is a new headset.

Can someone tell me what my options are when it comes to headsets? As I do not know what types are available to me for this frame.

What was on the bike was this chrome thing with loose bearings and I would like to install one with cartridge bearings.

Is it called a 1" threadless headset? And will any fit? And does my chosen bars n stem have any impact on what headset I buy now as I think I may want a normal set of bars on this and a normal stem.

As you can see, I am clueless :LOL: :oops: oh and I think I would prefer a black one.

I wouldn't be able to build this bike without your advice *bows*.

Thanks in advance :D

Dial compe or Tange Levin in black, I am a fan of Tange headsets :). You need to Google stack height to check the sizes are the same. :)

Cheers guys I'll get on that tomorrow and see what my old headset is and let you know.

One step closer to banana glory :)

First thing to check is that it has a normal threading on the steerer and not the proprietary Raleigh one. Older lower-end Raleighs had this unique thread - the only source of spares is another old Raleigh from the dump.

Evening chaps.

OK this is the headset that came on the bike, it appears to be 58mm.

I was going to ask if it was possible to just install a normal stem onto the steerer but having just put the forks in the frame I can see that I only have about 2inch of steerer poking through so not enough room, so I am going to have to go with this quill business and an adapter, but before I can do that, I require the lightest threaded headset that will fit giving my old headset as a clue as to what my options are lol :shock:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 462
Back