Peugeot Touring bike early 80s - advice?

Ugo51

Retro Guru
Hi all,

I fell in love with a Peugeout touring bike (currently being sold for £130) and I'm looking for any advice on the matter. I'm a total newbie when it comes to road bikes, I only ever had MTB.

There is one thing that concerns me: the rear tire is bulging out of the rim. The owner said that he just fitted the wrong tube, but he will fit the right one. Does this sound plausible or he is trying to hide the fact that the rim does not hold the tire?

Rims are of course made of steel. I'm not worried about the weight nor about the heat build up. Do these rims somehow increase the likelihood of picking up a puncture? Again, the owner said I might want to consider fitting new alloy rims to avoid picking up so many punctures, but I didn't get the connection between the type of rim and the ease of getting a flat tire.

Any other thing I need to be aware of?

Thank you!

I'd ditch the existing wheels and get ones with aluminium rims:
1 Steel rims have poor braking in the dry and almost non-existent braking in the wet - aluminium are sooo much better.
2 Aluminium rims are much lighter and your bike will ride much better. Wheel weight is critical as it is rotating - the gyroscopic effect of heavy wheels is significant.

The bulge off the rim is a badly-fitted tyre. If the tyre bead is sat correctly on the rim then the tyre carcass is halfway through failing.

Thank you for the answer, Hamster.

I ended up buying the bike, which should be a P8 frame, for £90.
My wife loved it too (it is admittedly stunning) so I couldn't really say no.

I will try to keep it as it is. I have another bike, so I could use the French one use for when it's dry weather. But for the speed I go to, even if I didn't have brakes altogether would be ok :D

Sounds very nice, especially for £90 if it it's a P8.
Look forward to seeing it.

Jamie

Personal experience of peugeot tourers, look after seat pin. Many peugeots had internal lugs so seatpin often of smaller diameter than you'd expect. My Normandy had a 23 point something mm post so if I bust it finding a replacement would not be easy. No longer an issue as everything else wore out first and it went to the recyclers.

Jamiedyer":2j3itjwi said:
Sounds very nice, especially for £90 if it it's a P8.
Look forward to seeing it.

Jamie

I will make sure to post some pictures asap :)

Back