Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:24 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:18 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:40 pm
Posts: 4347
Location: The Royal Society of Insobriety
Just popped in as I was local, it has a proper old school vibe to the place but it sounds like business is hard, there were however a number of frames on the wall awaiting refurbishment. The current owner (former shop employee) said the building and renovation side of the business was ticking over nicely but aside from servicing the shop was quiet, especially this time of year. There are a number of really interesting bikes and bits of paraphenalia in the shop that are worth seeing too, I hope they can make a go of it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:28 am 
Retro Guru

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:45 pm
Posts: 393
Rod_Saetan wrote:
Just popped in as I was local, it has a proper old school vibe to the place but it sounds like business is hard, there were however a number of frames on the wall awaiting refurbishment. The current owner (former shop employee) said the building and renovation side of the business was ticking over nicely but aside from servicing the shop was quiet, especially this time of year. There are a number of really interesting bikes and bits of paraphenalia in the shop that are worth seeing too, I hope they can make a go of it.

I thought they got Bob Jackson to do all their frames and painting.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:47 am 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:42 pm
Posts: 2359
Location: East Yorkshire
fossala wrote:
Rod_Saetan wrote:
Just popped in as I was local, it has a proper old school vibe to the place but it sounds like business is hard, there were however a number of frames on the wall awaiting refurbishment. The current owner (former shop employee) said the building and renovation side of the business was ticking over nicely but aside from servicing the shop was quiet, especially this time of year. There are a number of really interesting bikes and bits of paraphenalia in the shop that are worth seeing too, I hope they can make a go of it.

I thought they got Bob Jackson to do all their frames and painting.

Of course they do, and many more small uk bike builders also utilise BJ's expertese, (I could name 3 that I know of) they just don't make a big thing about it. :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:04 am 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:53 pm
Posts: 222
Location: London
As much as it pains me to say it, I'd recommend going straight to Bob Jackson.

I got my Ellis Briggs resprayed via EB and it was 6 months before I got it back - never heard from them once in all that time (I called repeatedly and got excuses). Being charitable, I would say they seem like nice guys but they really need someone else in charge.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:11 am 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:42 pm
Posts: 2359
Location: East Yorkshire
nonowt wrote:
As much as it pains me to say it, I'd recommend going straight to Bob Jackson.

I got my Ellis Briggs resprayed via EB and it was 6 months before I got it back - never heard from them once in all that time (I called repeatedly and got excuses). Being charitable, I would say they seem like nice guys but they really need someone else in charge.


I know what you mean, but even direct to BJ’s you will always be competing with thier commercial work, which at the end of the day is BJ’s lifeblood. I’ve had a frame take 7 months! But that was down to the chrome work being rejected by BJ, so out of their hands really.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:07 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:04 pm
Posts: 3368
Location: Completely in the dark, thanks to me good mate Terry....
Late to this thread but looking to pick people's brains about service quality and resolving it - EB have had my road frame since early December. Respray allegedly completed (and paid for by me on time, in full!) late January but still no frame; single colour plus decals effort so nothing fancy or time-consuming. Even going to the shop in person proved fruitless. Excuses offered since February:

- No Parcelforce collection due to weather
- Rejected by Parcelforce due to wrong box
- Held at Post Office for return to sender without EB being aware

This Monday afternoon they claimed the frame had been collected on a Parcelforce 48 Hour service; still no sign of it and the tracking number they e-mailed me doesn't appear to exist having pursued it with Parcelforce customer services.

Currently have an upcoming job interview so can do without unnecessary stress like this. Any suggestions? Any dissatisfied customers of theirs had to resort to legal action or similar?

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

David


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:24 pm 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:42 pm
Posts: 2359
Location: East Yorkshire
They are pushing their frame building courses on FaceBook. I wonder if you’d get their attention if you posted on there?
I’m not suggesting you get nasty, just some polite but slightly embarrassing questions might just move things along?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:12 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:40 am
Posts: 3772
When did they say you'd get the frame back? When did you pay? Obviously some things might be out of their control, but no business should be giving you such lame excuses and messing you about like that, no matter how "historical" or "traditional" they are.

- The weather excuse might work for a day or two...
- the wrong box? they've probably sent many many frames the same way, so they can't say they don't know which boxes are right, and which are "wrong"...
- held at PO for return to sender? If they sent it with tracking, which they should have done, then they'd know this. Or you would, if they'd given you the tracking number...

If it was me, I'd be thinking about a strongly worded letter sent by recorded post, mentioning small claims court if you don't get what you paid for within a week or so. Don't let them mess you around - it's always a shame to lose an LBS, but if they're not up to the job then it's not your fault if they go under is it?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:20 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:04 pm
Posts: 3368
Location: Completely in the dark, thanks to me good mate Terry....
Thanks for replies. I was messaged to say that the frame was apparently ready during the last weekend in January; I paid a day or two after they sent that confirmation through with the assurance that it'd be with me the following week. That was about 6 weeks ago....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:17 am 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:03 pm
Posts: 6691
Location: held captive by baby haggis in a cave in Scotland
You can always try and message this fellow retrobiker who looks like they work for Ellis Briggs judging by the for sale post. Unless I am reading it wrong.
He may be able to ask and give you a straight answer.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=395789

Jamie


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: afitton, hexred, Midlife and 14 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group