Ellis Briggs NOT gone into liquidation

nonowt

rBotM Winner
Sad news regarding the historic shop.

cyclingindustry.news/framebuilder-with-tdf-heritage-ellis-briggs-enters-liquidation/

Extra sad for me as they have my frame which I was due on Saturday. Argh!

Re: Ellis Briggs gone into liquidation.

nonowt":2v9fok40 said:
Sad news regarding the historic shop.

cyclingindustry.news/framebuilder-with-tdf-heritage-ellis-briggs-enters-liquidation/

Extra sad for me as they have my frame which I was due on Saturday. Argh!

:facepalm: oh man, i hope you can get it back :?

Re: Ellis Briggs gone into liquidation.

Yes very sad indeed.
It does make you wonder why a company with their history has failed; especially when you consider the boom in interest in classic bikes. Just looking at their website, they list a pre-owned bike with Campagnolo Athena 8 speed on one of their frames which looks stunning. For anyone with interest in such bikes, I am sure it 'ticks all the boxes'.
Lets hope someone can come along and at least take over the frame building side of things. From a business perspective, we only know certain details, but making a number of assumptions, maybe the overheads were too high being in a traditional shop. So perhaps if someone bought the company and did a move to an industrial estate with lower running costs it might be a viable option?
You would think at the very least the name itself would have value to a business to purchase; hopefully someone will buy the name and re-launch the company with a marketing strategy that focuses on the Tour de France links etc.

Re:

Strange one for me as it’s a local name with huge history but not somewhere I have ever bothered to go. Guess I always classed it as a Raleigh shop so wasn’t interested.

Still a real shame though.

Re:

Panic over! Just spoke to them and they are still in business. The liquidation was related to a move of premises.

I'll confirm this when I pick my frame up on Saturday.

Re: Re:

nonowt":1brhff8m said:
Panic over! Just spoke to them and they are still in business. The liquidation was related to a move of premises.

do you have a new address then?

Re: Ellis Briggs gone into liquidation Or maybe NOT..

The old shop was closed some time ago and the company moved to new premises nearby. I thought I read that the business had been acquired by a new owner at that time.

PeachyPM":11hk3cc7 said:
nonowt":11hk3cc7 said:

20 commercial street- a couple of doors down (I think they were at number 40 when I dropped my frame off).

Research suggests it was liquidated and taken over by former staff in 2016. I'm not sure what's going on at the moment but I hope they survive.

nonowt":2o6yb60v said:
PeachyPM":2o6yb60v said:
nonowt":2o6yb60v said:

20 commercial street- a couple of doors down (I think they were at number 40 when I dropped my frame off).

Research suggests it was liquidated and taken over by former staff in 2016. I'm not sure what's going on at the moment but I hope they survive.

Ah, ok. thats the address I have been to. nice shop, good vibe. I really hope they manage to survive...

Re:

Picked up the frame today. Looks stunning - pictures to follow in the readers bikes section.

Happy to report that the shop is very much open.

Back