Holdsworth

Dave-pils

Retro Newbie
Hi all.
Picked up an old Holdsworth road bike with Ron Cowan on the top tube, no model name that I can find. Not sure if he was a rider for Holdsworth at all, but I see Colin Lewis had his name on his Holdsworth back in the days.
Lovely bike to ride, first I’ve come across with an Orbit 2x internal rear hub as well as the 6 speed freewheel. It’s 27.2 seatpost, though no stickers indicating if it’s Reynolds steel etc frame but feels reasonably light. If anyone can shed any light on the bike and its history I would be very interested to hear about it. It has canti brake braze ons so I’m guessing it’s maybe late 80s originally. Thanks everyone

Re:

Hi. Usual trouble trying to shrink the picture size down but I think it’s done ok :)

Attachments

• 2917C056-C652-488B-B8C1-1DB2DB1178E1.jpeg
    2917C056-C652-488B-B8C1-1DB2DB1178E1.jpeg
    228.9 KB · Views: 683
  • 8106C09A-6511-40F6-9FFF-0294816DB1C2.jpeg
    8106C09A-6511-40F6-9FFF-0294816DB1C2.jpeg
    230.7 KB · Views: 683
I put my name on my bikes back in the 70's :). Over BB guides, long dropouts, nutted brakes might make it a bit earlier. The pump brazing on the head tube is maybe a later addition?

I don't recognize it as a model from the Holdsworth catalogues.

Nice though :)

Midlife":1pv4vfxd said:
I put my name on my bikes back in the 70's :). Over BB guides, long dropouts, nutted brakes might make it a bit earlier. The pump brazing on the head tube is maybe a later addition?

I don't recognize it as a model from the Holdsworth catalogues.

Nice though :)
Putting your name on your bike was commonplace BITD. Virtually every frame that was enamelled by C&G Finishes in Liverpool had the name of the owner hand painted in beautiful script somewhere, usually the front of the top tube.

Re:

Probably a Claud Butler tourer (Super Dalesman?) from the mid '80s refinished as a Holdsworth. Holdsworth made the Clauds anyway. If it has Campag 1010 ends it will almost certainly be 531db/st tubes. You should be able to date it to within a year or so from looking at dwscrimshaw's Holdsworth number threads on this forum.

Also, of course: http://www.nkilgariff.com/

Re: Holdsworth model

That makes perfect sense. And having checked the CB & Holdsworth catalogues of 85/86, it looks like the super Dalesman was the only road bike fitted with canti rather than centre pull brakes.
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Back