1953 Claud Butler

alexander55

Retro Newbie
I am a new member from the US. First post on the forum. Bought my first Claud Butler on Saturday at a swap meet in California. Obviously, a bit of a project. Very excited to have it. From what I can learn, it is a February, 1953 frame. A couple have suggested that it is the New Allrounder model. Thoughts?

Obviously, some of the parts are not original. I am interested in your thoughts about what to do with the bike. Several options come to my mind:
1. A mechanical restoration and get it back on the road with the parts, paint, etc. as they are.
2. A restoration (paint, decals, etc.) with the existing parts.
3. A complete restoration while trying to source original parts.
4. A frame restoration with more modern components.
Other options?

Any other information you have about the bike are welcomed.

Thanks so much.

Attachments

• Small 1.JPG
    Small 1.JPG
    227.4 KB · Views: 526
  • Small 2.JPG
    Small 2.JPG
    209 KB · Views: 526
  • Small 3.JPG
    Small 3.JPG
    223.7 KB · Views: 525
  • Small 4.JPG
    Small 4.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 526
the 1953 Claud Butler catalogue might be worthwhile reading
Another copy, this time on the Kilgariff site (presumably slightly later with price increases) but stated to also be 1953

Did you want help identifying the other components? If you do then good photos of each and we can contribute.
Many could have a reliable guess based on the photos already posted, but it would be nice to have individual photos.
Is there a frame number?
and are there any engravings on the inner faces of the chainrings and crank arms?

If it were mine, I would strip it, repaint it with period colours and decals and install period correct components. This is not hard to do.
Seatpost and handlebar stem are obviously later additions

One I found in Flickr
14112984047_a29f953ae3_o.jpg

more at https://www.flickr.com/photos/58008403@ ... 112984047/

Re:

From what I can see the Benelux gear, C45 chainset and Universal brake levers are a bit later, about 1955/6.
The Williams cranks sometimes have a date code on the inner surface.

Keith

Looks like it’s wearing non-original components but it’s all from the right sort of era. I’d be inclined to give that a good rub with an oily rag, oil and adjust, then enjoy it as it is! Maybe change the headset for an old chrome one.

The paintwork looks a lot better than some I've seen so I reckon that possibly a light T-Cutting will bring it up well. Clean up the components using methods well documented here on RB and the web in general and it will look great. Don't worry about some of the components not being exactly to period. It's what happened BITD, worn out ones were replaced by a similar newer design and the bike carried on being ridden until the next bit wore out etc. etc. It is possible to source new Universal brake lever hood rubbers on the web. Mis-matched levers and stirrups was very common, I (along with many others) used Universal levers with Weinmann 500 stirrups.

Re:

Back before my era, so I'll defer to those who were around back then, but some of those could easily be the original components. Britain still had wartime rationing in the early fifties. I'd guess you had to be pretty high up the socio-economic 'ladder' to put a decent bike together- new frame with all new components- in one go, in 1953.

Back