Suitable frame for MAVIC SSC groupset?

Fifthgrace

Retro Guru
Looking for some suggestions of what used frame to look out for with respect to building up with a Mavic SSC full groupset (contemporaneous with Campagnolo Super Record) I have just acquired.

I was thinking something made of Reynolds 753, but open to suggestion and would lean towards British or French frame manufacturer (I have a selection of Italian framed bikes currently, so fancy a change). Thanks in advance.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
JSH":1b9yiazg said:
Vintage Gazelle 753 Road Frame Champion Mondiale (Raleigh SBDU era) https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2874600796

Maybe a bit but 753 frames are going up - just look at the recent sold prices for Raleigh! This one is renovated ready to go and has a Super Record headset. (its not mine BTW)

Maybe keep an eye out for a 753 Peugeot Perthus Pro?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I think a Peugeot Perthus is a good shout, but I'd have it resprayed as a Look Hinault/La Vie Claire, so if anyone has one (even in poor cosmetic condition) in 55/56cm ctc do let me know!

Quite like Gitane too, but would need to be a top of the range model.

I agree with your view on Raleigh 753 prices, but not seeing it matched by Gazelles, wishful thinking. For me also, Gazelles are like Olmos, if you buy one, you want all the panto parts...and they cost a fortune if you buy retrospectively.

Re:

It’s really the wrong time of year to buy. With Eroica 3 months away, you can see the prices getting stronger.

I was obsessed a bit with finding an SBDU 753 frame but when you compare with some of the alternatives, they look a bit utilitarian IMO. I’ve gone off the idea now they are fetching a grand

Back