Thought I'd seen it all...

trail-blazer

Retro Guru
Bought some Exage levers from eBay. Opened up the package and notice that the hoods look a bit dirty and are sticky so set about cleaning them, as you do...

20180312_144902 by Michael Clark, on Flickr

Turns out they are white hoods, dyed/painted or marker-penned, black. :facepalm:

No, they weren't expensive but, seriously, who does this? Obviously, no mention of any colouring-in of hoodage on the listing. :facepalm:

I’ve bought some reasonably priced 105 lever hoods from the whollyhat shop on eBay. They would probably fit if you are after ‘real’ black hoods.
If memory serves me they were a touch under £9

Re:

I'll have a look at WHS shop, out of interest, but these will be going back. (or getting launched) :twisted:

The darker of the two hoods is what they looked like after a wash with soapy water. The other one was cleaned with t-cut when I realised something was up.

Bloody eBay. :facepalm:

Re:

If these are any good to you: 1987 Shimano BL-1051, SLR 105 in good condition with black hoods? £20 posted UK sound fair?

Attachments

• IMG_6986.jpg
    IMG_6986.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 530
  • IMG_6985.jpg
    IMG_6985.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 530
Re: Re:

pigman":23dvznch said:
i clean white hoods with meths. Not as bad as those though

I've been known to leave a set of white hoods in pot of bleach for a week two. :LOL: Works well with Weinmann hoods, Shimano not so much.

The tragic thing is, that the white doesn't seem to have yellowed like old Shimano hoods do, so a clean set of white hoods were sacrificed for some unknown reason.

They are currently in the hands of the Royal Mail, now. I'm now busy cleaning a set of Exage Motion levers with non-painted/dyed hoods. :D

Re: Re:

JSH":kairs0cb said:
If these are any good to you: 1987 Shimano BL-1051, SLR 105 in good condition with black hoods? £20 posted UK sound fair?

I have a set of those, thanks, waiting to be used on something. I'm sure I tried to sell another set on here for similar money and they attracted nothing more than a couple of tumbleweeds. :LOL:

The Sports are non-aero and looked ideal for this particular bike.

Just going to use some Exage Motions because they have the QR which is handy when you have non-QR calipers .

Re:

To Be honest, they were just tossed in a box and I just wiped them over. Everytime I buy something with cheap kit like old 105/RX100/Deore, it get put in the same box :D

If it's 600/DA/Campag Chorus/Record/SR, I clean it up

Ill probably weigh it in eventually!

Back